Unsure of Panther Chameleons health

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Panther chameleon, I assume sex is male by coloring but not 100% sure on that based on size. Weight is approximately 70 grams . I'm unsure of age but was told "he" was 15 months +/-. I have literally had him for 8 hours.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
I have handled him some he does not appreciate it. Mostly it's been to get him from the carrier into the cage move things around in the cage Etc.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
So, today because there girl I got him from forgot his food, I just stopped at Petco and picked up some crickets mealworms and wax worms. So far we have no schedule and I have not Gut Loaded them with anything. I put a few crickets, wax worms, and mealworms into a bowl. He has eaten every single meal worm and wax worm and refuses to eat any of the crickets.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
We have no supplements at this time. I plan on going to the store tomorrow I'm picking up the vitamins and dusts that I need.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
As part of the system the girl give me a monsoon mister it came with him. However it is quite old and obviously the timer is stuck on 120 duration four times a day and I'm not sure if this is too much water. If somebody could advise me on that I would be really appreciative. At this point I have just missed it him by hand three times today.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Poo was mostly solid/ wet with some clearish liquid. Dark brownish in color. He has never been tested for parasites as far as I know.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
This is a rescue situation. He was a part of a pet hoarding rescue type situation. I am assuming he has been treated quite badly. With not a lot of love or attention or even care. I was told that the previous owner had killed five other chameleons due to dehydration before turning this one over.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
The cage is 18 by 18 by 36. Is a screen cage.
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
She also had two lights one I am assuming is the standard UV and the other one is a heat lamp however I don't have more information than that as I did not buy them. Basically it's one of the night light (looks like a black light) and one of the daylight however I think that he's still as supposed to have a heat infrared so that he doesn't get too cold at night.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
I have multiple temperature gauges one sits at the bottom and one will be put at the top however I don't have a full gauge on temperature yet
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I have no way of gauging the humidity at this time. I have been misting and I will be getting a gauge tomorrow.
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
A pothos marble Queen
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage is sitting on top of a homework table at the moment. It is not in a super high traffic Zone however people do go into that room just not a lot of wind or walking by . I would say the top of the cage is roughly six feet off the ground. There is one air vent in the room and it may need to be closed or the cage moved at a later time.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
I am located in Houston Texas.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

My primary concern is that this girl i picked him up from only fed him 5 crickets a day. I did not realize that until I picked him up and asked about his eating schedule and I was very concerned for his health when I learned this.

Will the mister going at 120 second duration four times a day be too much water?

And, how much should I feed him a day so I don't risk potentially over feeding him if he's been starving this whole time?

At this moment I'm not even 100% sure what else I'm missing. I take animal husbandry very seriously and simply want to ensure that I'm doing right by him. I'm going to add a couple of pictures that hopefully well help you all determine how well he's doing.

Attachments

• 20190718_223617.jpg
    20190718_223617.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 20190718_135541.jpg
    20190718_135541.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 263
  • received_437334847121173.jpeg
    received_437334847121173.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 226
  • received_915027225506432.jpeg
    received_915027225506432.jpeg
    294.6 KB · Views: 208
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Panther chameleon, I assume sex is male by coloring but not 100% sure on that based on size. Weight is approximately 70 grams . I'm unsure of age but was told "he" was 15 months +/-. I have literally had him for 8 hours.
I have handled him some he does not appreciate it. Mostly it's been to get him from the carrier into the cage move things around in the cage Etc.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
So, today because there girl I got him from forgot his food, I just stopped at Petco and picked up some crickets mealworms and wax worms. So far we have no schedule and I have not Gut Loaded them with anything. I put a few crickets, wax worms, and mealworms into a bowl. He has eaten every single meal worm and wax worm and refuses to eat any of the crickets.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
We have no supplements at this time. I plan on going to the store tomorrow I'm picking up the vitamins and dusts that I need.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
As part of the system the girl give me a monsoon mister it came with him. However it is quite old and obviously the timer is stuck on 120 duration four times a day and I'm not sure if this is too much water. If somebody could advise me on that I would be really appreciative. At this point I have just missed it him by hand three times today.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
Poo was mostly solid/ wet with some clearish liquid. Dark brownish in color. He has never been tested for parasites as far as I know.

• History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
This is a rescue situation. He was a part of a pet hoarding rescue type situation. I am assuming he has been treated quite badly. With not a lot of love or attention or even care. I was told that the previous owner had killed five other chameleons due to dehydration before turning this one over.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
She also had two lights one I am assuming is the standard UV and the other one is a heat lamp however I don't have more information than that as I did not buy them. Basically it's one of the night light (looks like a black light) and one of the daylight however I think that he's still as supposed to have a heat infrared so that he doesn't get too cold at night.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
I have multiple temperature gauges one sits at the bottom and one will be put at the top however I don't have a full gauge on temperature yet
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
I have no way of gauging the humidity at this time. I have been misting and I will be getting a gauge tomorrow.
A pothos marble Queen
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
The cage is sitting on top of a homework table at the moment. It is not in a super high traffic Zone however people do go into that room just not a lot of wind or walking by . I would say the top of the cage is roughly six feet off the ground. There is one air vent in the room and it may need to be closed or the cage moved at a later time.

My primary concern is that this girl i picked him up from only fed him 5 crickets a day. I did not realize that until I picked him up and asked about his eating schedule and I was very concerned for his health when I learned this.

Will the mister going at 120 second duration four times a day be too much water?

And, how much should I feed him a day so I don't risk potentially over feeding him if he's been starving this whole time?

At this moment I'm not even 100% sure what else I'm missing. I take animal husbandry very seriously and simply want to ensure that I'm doing right by him. I'm going to add a couple of pictures that hopefully well help you all determine how well he's doing.
I’m not that good with chameleons but from his colors he seems fine he’s an adult so maybe 10 -12 crickets it’s what I have learned from research maybe wait for someone more experienced to let you know about his health but ya 10-12 crickets you should feed him

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
A pothos marble Queen

but the first picture does concern me because chameleons don’t usually go and stay at the bottom

So that's where he's at exactly right now. He's sleeping behind the plant. And I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. I can cover him like the whole cage. And I can get more foliage tomorrow because I'm assuming there's just not enough and he doesn't feel comfortable on the limbs all night.

He's had a very trying day with a whole bunch of car travel and moving in and out of cages. Maybe it's just stress? Adjusting to a new environment?

So that's where he's at exactly right now. He's sleeping behind the plant. And I'm not exactly sure what to do about it. I can cover him like the whole cage. And I can get more foliage tomorrow because I'm assuming there's just not enough and he doesn't feel comfortable on the limbs all night.

He's had a very trying day with a whole bunch of car travel and moving in and out of cages. Maybe it's just stress? Adjusting to a new environment?
ya usually his colors indicate stress if he’s sleeping he’s fine I believe chameleons all have a favorite sleeping spot mine used to slee at the bottom then she slept at the top then inside between leaves and she chooses different places

I’m not that good with chameleons but from his colors he seems fine he’s an adult so maybe 10 -12 crickets it’s what I have learned from research maybe wait for someone more experienced to let you know about his health but ya 10-12 crickets you should feed him
PLEASE stop giving advise to new keepers when you yourself are a new keeper. All you are doing is confusing them by giving improper advise. Please focus on perfecting your own husbandry and let more experienced keepers chime in and help this keeper with their husbandry.

PLEASE stop giving advise to new keepers when you yourself are a new keeper. All you are doing is confusing them by giving improper advise. Please focus on perfecting your own husbandry and let more experienced keepers chime in and help this keeper with their husbandry.
dude wtf I clearly said I’m not good with chameleons let an expirenced person tell you so wtf

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
A pothos marble Queen

There are a few different things in here that should be addressed, but for the most part you're on the right track. Hopefully some other keepers will chime in with their advise, but if no one has by morning then I'll jump back in here. Sorry, it's way past my bed time! :ROFLMAO:

actually man I’m sorry for responding in an inappropriate manner I was just trynna help and say what u thought I knew I thought I was right about feeding him 10-12 crickets I guess not but I’ll just let the experiences say everything and I won’t say nothing I’m sorry :( :/

@David Esparza, I appreciate you trying to jump in and help - I love the enthusiasm! - but I second @Daesie11. Let the experienced members handle it to prevent the wrong info getting passed around. :)

@narnythegreat, I'm at work right now and can't go over your form, but I'll take a look in an hour once I'm on the bus.
ya thanks for understanding I do it because when I post something I need answers quick and she had posted that and for like 30 min no one replied @GoodKarma19 but I promise it won’t happen again :)

Chameleon Info:

Cage Info:
A pothos marble Queen

You have an adult male. He will need a larger enclosure at least 2x2x4, a proper UVB light meaning T5HO with a 5.0 ZooMed or 6% Arcadia. No lights at night at all. Just a li ear uvb and basking bulb during the day 12hrs on/12hrs off. Stop the mealworms completely. Wax worms as a treat only. As an adult male I'd recommend feeding him every other day max of 10 total food items. Or if you wanted to feed him daily feed max of 5. Since he likes worms I'd get some Silk worms as a stable feeder and superworms as treats. You'll probably want to replace the mister. Everyones needs for misting are different but you'll probably be flooding out the cage a lot like that which can lead to worse things. Our members here tend to like the Climist and Mistking systems. I'll attach a bunch of info and care sheets I'll need you to really dive into.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

chameleon-food.jpg
chameleon-gutload.jpg
chameleon-supplements.jpg
chameleon-non-uvb-light.jpg
chameleon-uvb-light.jpg
20190613_160409.jpg

You have an adult male. He will need a larger enclosure at least 2x2x4, a proper UVB light meaning T5HO with a 5.0 ZooMed or 6% Arcadia. No lights at night at all. Just a li ear uvb and basking bulb during the day 12hrs on/12hrs off. Stop the mealworms completely. Wax worms as a treat only. As an adult male I'd recommend feeding him every other day max of 10 total food items. Or if you wanted to feed him daily feed max of 5. Since he likes worms I'd get some Silk worms as a stable feeder and superworms as treats. You'll probably want to replace the mister. Everyones needs for misting are different but you'll probably be flooding out the cage a lot like that which can lead to worse things. Our members here tend to like the Climist and Mistking systems. I'll attach a bunch of info and care sheets I'll need you to really dive into.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/panther/

View attachment 240067View attachment 240068View attachment 240069View attachment 240070View attachment 240071View attachment 240072
Thank you so much! I have kept Chameleons before but not this kind and not for 15+ years! I will be reading all this info. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! I have kept Chameleons before but not this kind and not for 15+ years! I will be reading all this info. Thanks again.
If you have anymore questions feel free to always come back to this thread and ask. I come back everyday to learn more from people on here with much more experience than I and give guidance in what I have learned along the way to others who are willing and able. You're very welcome and welcome to the forums!

One question, or many...

Changes being brought first will be food and vitamins.

I have set up a drip system (one drop every 3 to 5 seconds) into the plant and it lands on the leaves to drop down. I will continue to do the misting by hand until I find a system that I can live with.

How quickly should I worry about the new cage?

I do have a 4 bulb t5ho light system that I can use just need to figure out bulb configuration for that system, if I cant then I'll be buying a new one. But I would rather use that money and put it towards a new cage/misting system if I can help it.

Can anyone offer advice for a bulb configuration that would be good for a live plant 36 inch high cage that will eventually be changed to a 48 in ch h cage?

So in order of importance, if you were me and needed to budget over time to make all of the changes, what steps would you change first from greatest importance to least (not to say any of these are less important but which would cause the least amount of harm if it was put on hold).

TIA

Last edited:
I would start with setting up the proper UVB lighting in the T5HO fixture you have first. Then I would probably upgrade the cage and finally add a mist king system.

The UVB will have the most impact of his health beside the food and supplements. For hydration, you can hand mist of use the monsoon for now.

Bulb configuration I would use two 5.0 or 6% UVB bulbs and two plant grow bulbs (6500k bulbs is what I use).

Just my opinion.

I would start with setting up the proper UVB lighting in the T5HO fixture you have first. Then I would probably upgrade the cage and finally add a mist king system.

The UVB will have the most impact of his health beside the food and supplements. For hydration, you can hand mist of use the monsoon for now.

Bulb configuration I would use two 5.0 or 6% UVB bulbs and two plant grow bulbs (6500k bulbs is what I use).

Just my opinion.
Correct me if I am wrong please, but I've been told that in a quad unit you should be using a 10.0 or 12% UVB? Is that remedied by having two 5.0 or 6% bulbs?? Not sure how the UVB changes with 2 bulbs rather than one so I am curious.
I had a quad fixture with a single 6% bulb plus a grow light and a 6500k (one slot was empty because it was producing too much heat) and once I got a solarmeter I found out I was hardly even getting a 1.0 UVB. I may have cried when I realized I wasnt giving Pesto what he needed lol. But now I have a 12% and my boy is thriving!

I agree with the above though. The first change needs to be getting your lighting set up, and then closely followed by upgrading the enclosure. You will notice a huge difference in your new boys activity when he has a larger enclosure filled to the brim with live plants! Now, if you can get your guy out in to natural sunlight for at least an hour a week (someone correct me on that length of time), then it might be worth it for you to upgrade cage first and lighting second. Nothing beats natural sun light, and even a little bit of sunlight a day will sustain them better than a full days worth of a T5HO!
I like to say that the misting system should be the last addition, because it is more of a luxury than a necessity.

Back
Top Bottom