Unknown Sickness

It might make eve f ybody feel a little better my daughter and I were able to rescue a terribly neglected little dog today in south central we have a home for her and we'll get her there tonight it's taken over a month to do this. She's going to a retired couple in a very nice little town. At least we won that one.

9df361099162a54c908a84e59293825a.jpg
4328b9106f0bbdfa735d89110eb18680.jpg
This is her. She has a home tonight. Feels really good to get her out of there.

Sadly, my chameleon didn't make it. He was making a steady a recovery then all of a sudden, his eyes just sunk deep, almost like his eyes were gonna disappear and his sockets would bulge out. His grip was very weak too, he couldn't even stand upright. Then the next morning(Today) he had like these patches of randomized colors, mostly dark green with light green or dull yellow lines. Picked him up, no movement, eyes closed, just figured he was dead.

I'm possibly not getting a chameleon any time soon, if ever. If I do, somehow, for whatever reason, I'm not making that calcium mistake again. I've learned my lesson.

I hope that dog is doing well.

I'll see if I can give the gecko to MamatoElvis

I'm so sorry . The vet told me when mine died that mbd will damage their central nervous so bad they can't tell up from down. I know this won't happen again to any of your animals. I think the yellow in his poop was a bad sign. Sorry again.

If you were to get anymore get an adult . Babies r way more delicate. Everything has to go right for like 12 to 18 mos or longer to get them to adulthood safely and healthy

Well, occasionally, he did have yellow poop. I knew it was with related with water dehydration so as soon as I saw yellow poop, I sprayed the leaves and he would drink almost instantly. After that he started pooping normally.

If I get an adult, I'd have to get one that's recently became an adult and hopefully one that's tame or minimal aggression. Only bad thing is here they can easily go up to $200-$300 from what I seen in stores.

When I was trying to save my male I was so freaked out . I was able to spend all day on him it was intense but it worked. The female I think may have been making eggs because it took her so fast I had her at an emergency vet at midnight before memorial day but she was too far gone.

Her name was Broom Hilda and when she got mad she turned 3 shades of black she never got all of her colors but she was beautiful

I'm sorry for your loss and I'm sorry our ample advice wasn't taken seriously sooner.

Please think long and hard about the purchase of an adult chameleon that is for some reason being suggested to you. I don't think you will be ready for a long time from what I can see here. Especially if you are worried about the initial price of the chameleon because that is not going to be your biggest cost. If you are concerned about the cost of the chameleon then you should not even be considering it.

If I do get another pet or reptile, it'll be a very simple one to keep, like a crested gecko or an African fat tailed or something. This is the first time I had a problem with MBD. Supposedly I have to give calcium to leopard geckos as well, but I raised juveniles with barely any supplements, superworms mostly, and not a single sign of MBD. Same with my Blue tongue (Except he was like 3 weeks old), I gave him (most of the time) canned dog food with mixes of fruits and veggies. Although of course the dog food already has some calcium, so that's helped me. I know canned dog food may be bad with certain ingredients, but I check the ingredients, make sure nothing is wrong, and either way, he's been eating it for about 2 years and 2 months now and not a single problem has happened to him.

Regardless, IF I get another animal, it definitely won't be a chameleon, or anything more difficult to keep in a very long time. For sure if I get something, the only disorder it would have might be because of TOO much calcium. It'll never have a shortage of calcium. Only animals I've been thinking about are either Caiman Lizards (Definitely don't have space for that, not anymore at least) Ackie Monitors (Don't have space either and too expensive at the moment) Cresties (Its a possibility I could get one, but I highly doubt it) Leachies, AKA giant geckos (Way too expensive for now) and Green Tree Pythons (My mom doesn't like snakes, also a bit expensive, can't have it now at least) so chameleons are way off my wishlist.

Please do not get any kind of animal until you are responsible enough to look after it properly and to make sure you have enough money to take it to a vet when it needs to see one.

As for the ones you already have....just keeping them alive by doing the minimum is not acceptable....they deserve to be treated and looked after properly and should be... or the humane society may take them away from you.

I'm not getting another animal unless I either get a job or get my own house when I'm old enough or both. If I get another animal, it's because my sister wanted it (I can't say I wouldn't want it either) but either way I'd take the best care for it as I could do.

I guarantee you the other reptiles are healthy. My male and female Leos are a breeding pair and 2 out of the 3 eggs she laid were fertile and there's not a single problem with them as of yet. My blue tongue skink (Personal favorite from both color and personality) is also healthy, he has quite an appetite. If there's literally anything wrong with him, it's the fact his tongue isn't completely blue (Which of course is nothing wrong)

I'm sure no one is shocked but I received a message that the leopard gecko died. I guess he was too busy (or his sister said no ) to take him to the rescue place I found.

Back
Top Bottom