Universality of indeterminate growth in lizards rejected....

kinyonga

Chameleon Queen
" The only examined chameleons with completely absent GPCs were two old Chamaeleo calyptratus (Fig. 2b), one Furcifer oustaleti, and one Calumma parsonii"...
"GPC persistence in fully grown individuals of agamids and chameleons can be caused by reduced longevity limiting the time window available for the GPC degradation process"...
"we found preserved GPC in most of the studied chameleons, which points to their potential ability to grow throughout the life"...
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-54573-5.pdf?proof=t

Last edited:
So now you want it translated from English to simple English? :)

Does this help a bit?
"growth plate cartilage (Gpc) in the epiphysis of long bones, which is responsible for longitudinal skeletal growth by the endochondral ossiffication process."

Epiphysis...the end part of a long bone.

Last edited:
Endochondral ossification".cartikage is replaced by the bone...this growth occurs at the epiphysis.. and a couple of other places.

In English?

Lobster and bass have indeterminate growth. The older they are, the bigger they are.

Dogs and cats have determinate growth. Once they are "mature" they do not get bigger.

This study is to find out if the old wise tail is true, and "lizards never stop growing".

Im still waiting for the study "the lizard will stop growing if you keep it in a smaller tank, just like a fish"

Chameleons—much less other reptiles—never struck me as having indeterminate growth.

Ossification, I'm familiar with; it's fused & stabilized several of my vertebrae.

Back
Top Bottom