Unintentional but Fascinating Silkworm Experiment

dinomom

Chameleon Enthusiast
I needed to reinvigorate my stock so I ordered 250 eggs each of normal, zebra, and black zebra silkworms. Had them sent fedex but forgot to request the ice pack so I could hatch them at my leisure. SO since they were on a Fedex truck all day in 100 degree weather I had no choice but to hatch all at once. WOW what a difference. (I only had regular ones before)

Had I realized how interesting this would be I would have done scientific measurements but oh well..

First of all, the hatch rate of the blacks was way lower.-maybe 20-25% compared to the others. Their growth rate was about 20% of the other two; at 3 (?) weeks some are still only an inch long. I have had only 2 cocoons, looks like maybe I'll get a dozen if I am lucky.

The BIG shock is the zebra ones. Almost 100% hatch rate, and HUGE bugs. At least 25-30% larger/heavier than the normals. Started cocooning about 7 days earlier than the normals, and they are making big fat dense cocoons. They are still way ahead on the number of cocoons compared to the regulars 34-7.

I have not fed the blacks since I am "conserving" them to cocoon, but between the zebra and normals the chams show no taste preference.

I have to conclude, although it is very unusual for a mutation of any animal, that the zebra silks are way more vigorous and prolific than the normals. I could see that anyone keeping the larger chams like Parson's would be well served by feeding them as they can indeed get quite large.

PS of course I do not know the age/generation of the eggs and maybe for example the black zebra eggs were older and therefore less viable. I am interested in whether or not anyone else has experienced this!

I needed to reinvigorate my stock so I ordered 250 eggs each of normal, zebra, and black zebra silkworms. Had them sent fedex but forgot to request the ice pack so I could hatch them at my leisure. SO since they were on a Fedex truck all day in 100 degree weather I had no choice but to hatch all at once. WOW what a difference. (I only had regular ones before)

Had I realized how interesting this would be I would have done scientific measurements but oh well..

First of all, the hatch rate of the blacks was way lower.-maybe 20-25% compared to the others. Their growth rate was about 20% of the other two; at 3 (?) weeks some are still only an inch long. I have had only 2 cocoons, looks like maybe I'll get a dozen if I am lucky.

The BIG shock is the zebra ones. Almost 100% hatch rate, and HUGE bugs. At least 25-30% larger/heavier than the normals. Started cocooning about 7 days earlier than the normals, and they are making big fat dense cocoons. They are still way ahead on the number of cocoons compared to the regulars 34-7.

I have not fed the blacks since I am "conserving" them to cocoon, but between the zebra and normals the chams show no taste preference.

I have to conclude, although it is very unusual for a mutation of any animal, that the zebra silks are way more vigorous and prolific than the normals. I could see that anyone keeping the larger chams like Parson's would be well served by feeding them as they can indeed get quite large.

PS of course I do not know the age/generation of the eggs and maybe for example the black zebra eggs were older and therefore less viable. I am interested in whether or not anyone else has experienced this!
Good to know. I just ordered some last night and they’re on their way. Now I’ll have some info to compare to. 👍🏼

Good to know. I just ordered some last night and they’re on their way. Now I’ll have some info to compare to. 👍🏼
If you are getting the different colors, document their growth in photos, it is a dramatic difference!

By the time I thought of it mine were getting too far along. I have a bout a million cocoons now :(

Back when you could shop for silkies, the zebras were always marked as the most robust and best immune system. Didnt know they were bigger though, nice catch.

Back
Top Bottom