Unexpected female laying eggs

Oxytocin might have helped her expel the last few eggs. I just hope she does it soon. Once in s while eggs can be absorbed but more often they are just retained and cause problems in the future. If she shows any signs at all of decline she needs to see a vet right away...ASAP...quickly.

I'm not too experienced with females, but I would think it would be better for her to have a laying bin and release all the eggs asap? Is the vet you visited experienced with chameleons? I'm so glad you took her, and that she seems to be doing well. What I can tell you from experience, is that once a female is egg bound, she can go downhill very fast without appearing to be in a lot of distress. Going to the vet within 24 hours or less of identifying distress can make the difference between life and death. Just my $0.02 in case she doesn't pass all the egss.

I'm not too experienced with females, but I would think it would be better for her to have a laying bin and release all the eggs asap? Is the vet you visited experienced with chameleons? I'm so glad you took her, and that she seems to be doing well. What I can tell you from experience, is that once a female is egg bound, she can go downhill very fast without appearing to be in a lot of distress. Going to the vet within 24 hours or less of identifying distress can make the difference between life and death. Just my $0.02 in case she doesn't pass all the egss.
I provided a lay box as soon as we spotted the first eggs, but she hasn't shown any interest. She's dropped three more eggs today, so we're down to watching for the last few. The office we took her to specializes in exotics, and the vet we saw has extensive experience with reptiles, so I know our cham was in good hands. She's now eating and drinking well, but we will heed your advice and keep a close watch. Thanks!

A side note. I was telling a friend about our cham, and she said that someone else she knows was experiencing the EXACT same thing with her veiled- only dropped a few eggs, not eating, etc... (crazy coincidence!) This owner had also gotten the same exotic hospital referral as I, but saw one of their other vets literally the day after I was there. The protocol and advice was similar, but her vet added that it can take up to a month for the cham to release all of her eggs.

vet added that it can take up to a month for the cham to release all of her e
I don’t agree with this. My female laid 65 eggs in 24 hours. If it’s taking longer then that then you have a problem and need a new vet. Not all reptile vets have experience with chams, it took me 3 vets to find one that actually knew what they were talking about

From everything I've seen,heard, read when a veiled chameleon drops eggs like this and doesn't lay all of them at once there is a problem in the future with her. It will likely end up being that a few eggs are retained and rot/deteriorate inside her causing issues with the next batch of eggs to come and she will either die from infection because of those retained eggs or she will develop dystopia with her next batch of eggs. You really have to make sure that she lays all the eggs or they are removed from her IMHO.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom