Unexpected baby chameleons!!

asparagus17

I've had my Elliott's chameleon for about a month and a half now and I woke up to 7 little babies crawling all around the cage. I have never had chameleon babies before so I am a total newbie to this, pretty overwhelmed. I am picking up some more fruit flies tommorow afternoon, they won't touch the baby crickets! The babies are currently in a cricket keeper inside my all mesh terrarium away from mom and are being automatically misted regularly, the temperature is currently at 80! I need all the help and advice I can get!! Thank you!

eqe6yty3.jpg

I have no idea, I hope you get answers soon, those are the cutest little babies I have ever seen. Good luck with them, your going to have your hands full <3

Wow how crazy. Your doing great just keep calm lol. there is a ton of info on here and a lot of people that will help ya out. What you did was good. They may not eat for a couple of days. My babies love the pinhead crickets but wont touch the fruit flies. Are those panthers? was there eggs somewhere or a Jackson's live birth.

Wow how crazy. Your doing great just keep calm lol. there is a ton of info on here and a lot of people that will help ya out. What you did was good. They may not eat for a couple of days. My babies love the pinhead crickets but wont touch the fruit flies. Are those panthers? was there eggs somewhere or a Jackson's live birth.

Pretty sure she led with the fact that they are Elliott's chameleons :).

I don't know anything about Elliott's chameleons, but I do know that baby chameleons eat a lot. I would get some fruit flies and create your own cultures. Joshsfrogs.com is a great place to get them as well as pinhead crickets. As far as enclosures for the babies, your set up sounds OK, but I would probably get a plastic tote box and set that up for them. Make sure that they get all the water they need, I have found that that leads to more baby deaths than anything else.

You can try pinheads in a couple of weeks, stick with the fruit fly's for now.

Try to get them into something a bit bigger then the cricket keeper to offer a larger temperature gradient. 80*F is good for the warm side, with a drop down to 70 (even high 60's) on the cooler side.
Humidity should hit 80%, as they are from a very high humidity location. Babies drink a TON of water, so if you can keep it in the ballpark of 80% all of the time that would likely be best. That being said, allow proper ventilation too. A cricket keeper might get stagnant.

Congratulations and good luck!

I separated all my babies into their own respective deli cups. Heres a photo of my setup:

IMG_3627.jpg

I have all the little cups inside a 10 gallon aquarium with a screen top and the UVB lights sit on top. I also have a reptifogger attached so I can keep the humidity up. I know its almost impossible to do when you have a million little babies to take care of, but I like to keep them separate because you can monitor them much closer (ie. eating, pooping regularly etc).

Heres a link to my thread that has a full picture of my setup:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/more-little-babies-mothers-day-129614/

Hey everyone! UPDATE: They are doing great! I found a home for 6 of them with a very nice gentleman who has actually raised baby chameleons before! he was very helpful and even brought over some fruit flies, more mineral powder and plants for the one I kept! He sent me a message after he got home saying that they are eating like crazy! Which is awesome and I couldn't be happier that my asparagus ( momma chameleon) babies are healthy and safe!! I have been monitoring the humidity and temperature levels of the one I kept and it all checks out well! And he is bright eyed and active. I am so grateful for all your help, advice and well wishes, keep er coming!

Back
Top Bottom