Umbrella Tree Question...

adpat79

Hi i realise this is something that has been asked before, but I want to be sure with what i have bought. I got an Umbrella Tree from Homebase, not realsing there were two types, and all the label says is "schefflera".

Can someone please help me identify if this schefflera is the safe one, arboricola, or the dangerous one, actinopylla, as i need to get some live plants in my 5 month old Yemen's enclosure. She is struggling with water at the moment and this is one thing i am doing to help (she is showing signs of dehydration with one eye closing every now and then).

Thanks

Adam

Attachments

• Umbrella_photo_1.jpg
    Umbrella_photo_1.jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 70
  • Umbrella_photo_3.jpg
    Umbrella_photo_3.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 86
Its OK

It is a Schefflera arboricola, just a variegated form. The heavily variegated ones need more light to thrive, as they have less chlorophyll-bearing leaf areas. They are kind of prone to getting brown and black areas in the white parts if they get too little light or too much water.

As already said, it's the safe form! Looks pretty similar to the ones sold in B&Q. Amy has eaten plenty of her leaves and is ok! You mention eye problems however. Their eyes look sunken when dehydrated. What does her urate look like? Is it white (normal & well hydrated) or does it have some orange in it, or is it all orange/yellow (indicationg dehydration)? Just one other question, what type of UV bulb are you using? The best ones for chams are the linear/tube ones. Compact/coiled UV bulbs may cause eye issues, so that is why I am asking about your UV!

Thanks a lot for the replies everyone, i have placed the plant in her enclosure now.

Miss Lily - Thanks for the help, i should maybe post a new thread regarding her eye as it is still shut 60/70% of the time. I had researched the issue and noticed her urate looks pretty healthy, its basically white, but i had not seen her drinking for ages and had noted this before she started closing her eye, hence me thinking hydration issues.

I have a Reptisun 5.0 UVB, and 99% sure it is coiled (am at work so cant check). Maybe this is my problem.

She seems healthy enough and is eating well, she is a bit moody with me, but then that's nothing new! :)

She has been noticeably rubbing her eye on the side a few times as if it is irritating her, so i have got some saline solution this morning to try and help her when i get home, though i cant really see anything in the eye, and its not really swollen or anything.

Back
Top Bottom