Typical Chameleon Behaviors and their Meanings

EvilLost

I was hoping to start an organized topic on general chameleon behaviors and what they mean. Attempting to build an organized list of common behaviors, their meanings, and solutions to them. I'll start things off...

BEHAVIOR: Going Dark
MEANING: Usually a sign of being overly stressed or overly COLD.
SOLUTION: Check basking spot temperature and probably increase it. Make sure he can access the basking spot and still have a mentally-comfortable place to sit (ie not exposed on the last edge of the branch or only a rock access). Leave him (or her!) be.

BEHAVIOR: Weak grip/falling
MEANING: Possible sign of MBD. See this thread: What MBD Looks Like
SOLUTION: Likely cause is a lack of or improper supplementation. Feeders may not be gutloaded well. Vet check is probably a good idea. See below/responses for various schedules used.

BEHAVIOR: Sitting with a curled tail.
MEANING: They are comfortable/relaxed. This is a good thing. (Can anyone confirm this? It just seems like it based on my experiences so far :)
SOLUTION: It isn't a problem.

Can anyone explain the following?

1) Last night I awoke to a small "burping" sound (VERY weak sound I am amazed it woke me up as I am a very heavy sleeper but anyway...) I looked at my 3month baby and he was sleeping in the same spot, eyes closed, no signs of him having awoken or moved but.....he did it again "burp". His chin bulged out as if filling with air, then retracted. He did not seem to wake and repeated this a few times. I don't know why but I decided to mist him right then, which also did not wake him although he stopped the burping. What does this mean?

2) Supplementation: Daily with Calcium; Every 14 days (twice a month) with Calc+D3 and Multivitamin (basically altering every other week: sunday 1 - +d3; sunday 2-multivitamin; sunday 3 - +d3; sunday 4 - multivitamin) Can others confirm/share their schedule?

Other common behaviors / problems you guys can share?

Mbd can also be caused from lack of UVB. I am curious why you would mist your chameleon when he was in the middle of sleeping. I know you said he "burped" but what would misting him accomplish?. No, I have never heard of that while sleeping, but maybe somone else has. I just knowI would never spray water on my chameleon when he is in a dead sleep. JMO

Although your idea to list behaviors, etc. is good...IMHO you need to expand on what you are writing. For example....
You said..."BEHAVIOR: Weak grip/falling
MEANING: Possible sign of MBD. See this thread: What MBD Looks Like
SOLUTION: Likely cause is a lack of or improper supplementation. Feeders may not be gutloaded well. Vet check is probably a good idea. See below/responses for various schedules used."...that's only one sign of MBD. Other signs can include but are not limited to...deformed legs, lethargy, no trunkal lifting, what looks like an extra elbow on the arms, flexible jaw or casque, etc.
Under "solution"...you tell people the cause and some of the solutions but they could do with some filling out. I wouldn't just say that "feeders may not be gutloaded well"...but list the greens and veggies that would improve the gutload. I would also include that the imbalances need to be corrected...and explain how...and then mention that to keep it from happening again, the husbandry needs to be changed.

Hope you take these comments in the light that they were given....to help you make it a better list of information.

kinyonga: yea that is exactly what I was referring to...I just don't feel overly qualified so I was starting things off. Was hoping others could add to the list

Back
Top Bottom