turning black while basking

CoolCham

Hello, I have noticed that our 3 month old male panther turns very dark green to black while under his basking spot. The ambient temps are usually about 75-79 with slight drops at night. The baskig spot is 83ish. I'm not sure if that's low because I read it should be lower for babies. He has also eaten and drunken already today. Thanks

Hello, I have noticed that our 3 month old male panther turns very dark green to black while under his basking spot. The ambient temps are usually about 75-79 with slight drops at night. The baskig spot is 83ish. I'm not sure if that's low because I read it should be lower for babies. He has also eaten and drunken already today. Thanks

Turning dark when basking is his way of absorbing the heat. Your temps are ok. A night time drop of about 10 f is what you are aiming for.

If you notice your chameleon with his mouth open, then lower it back down a little. I was just saying to raise as one, they can take a higher temp and two, maybe he will not turn as dark when basking if the temp is higher also. Just something to try and experiment with and no harm will be done.

Back
Top Bottom