Trying to find a humane way to put my chameleon down...

fullspectrum

So here's my situatation. I have two ambilobe panther chameleons (male and female). I didnt know this at the time but if they even see each other, the female can produce infertile eggs. So I came to the realization, after speaking with a chameleon expertise that she has produced her eggs : She was digging in the soil of her plant each morning for about 3 or 4 days, as well as, not eating. At the this point (before i spoke to him) I had no idea that she could even have eggs in her. Now, about a week after of not eating she still hasn't laid her eggs and is starting to show some sad signs. She is starting to move sluggish, sleeping through out the day, and her eyes are shrinking in. Its one of the saddest things ive seen.

I feel that her time is coming near and I want to avoid any pain to her while putting her down. This week my brother has been in the hospital and going through his own set of problems. In addition, I have exams this week and I am extremely tight on money right now. So i dont have much time or money available. I called 6 vets around me, one specializes in reptiles and they told me it would be $75 to euthanize her. Two other vets would be able to put her down as well but still charge $60.

I've been researching and it sounds like the vet is the only way to go. But without an extra $60 to spend I'm trying to find another solution thats not cruel at all.

I have read in this chameleon book (called "the new chameleon hand book") that wrapping it up in a towel and then putting it in the freezer will be painless. I dont believe this after reading over and over on forums that they go through much pain while being frozen. However, I also read on here that if you put the chameleon in the fridge first it will fall asleep and then you can put it in the freezer. If she was wrapped in a towel and put in the fridge first, then in the freezer would she still suffer? Its hard to even consider any of this. Anyone with information will be greatly appreciated.

I would think a vet would do it and just bill you if that was your last option. Or ask to be put on a payment plan for $60. Explain your situation, your chameleon might not be as bad as you think.

Freezing anything to death is cruel.

I would talk to the vet about a payment plan. Or maybe find someone in your family that can loan you the money. I have read about people that had egg bound female, and the vet can remove them. She has a chance with the vet.

Have you even tried to provide her with a laying bin and some extra privacy? Perhaps that's all she needs. I understand that sometimes it does come down to having them euthanized, but you should at least give her a fighting chance before giving up on her.

Can she still she the male? If she is stressed, she is much more likely to abandon the holes. I would give her a properly set up laying bin (hopefully someone here will tell you exactly how that's done, as I've never had a female lay), and then cover her cage to give her more privacy.

Please don't freeze her. After you've truly given her a good chance, if she will still not lay, then it is your responsibility to have her euthanized humanely - and that means at the vet. I know it's not easy, I had to have my veiled euthanized last month, during an exam week and when I was totally broke. But if you check with your vet, payment plans are reasonable.

Hopefully you can help her out, and it won't come to that.

Ask a vet to set up a payment plan. They can give her injections to make her lay the eggs. If she is just starting to show signs of going down hill more than likely she could be saved but you have to act FAST!!!

If you want to kill it without spending any money the most painless way is to put it on a hard surface and crush its head with something. Shoe, brick, hammer etc. It is barbaric but the most quick and painless way because it destroys the brain in a split second. They say even decapitated people are alive for a very short time after. Its not instant.

The most humane thing to do would be to take it to the vet and get it the necessary treatment, especially if its not on its last limb. Whatever you choose do it now. If she does not get a vet then she awaits certain death so do not let her suffer.

Also, depending on where you are there is a rescue in California. If close by you could take her there and let Elisa work her magic on her. If you want more info let me know.

in this dire situation, is there anywhere other than a vet that oxytocin could be acquired? Its easy enough to get your hands on eye ointment or fenbendazole...

just for the future, should you get another female. She can still produce eggs whether she has seen a male or not. they produce them on their own. A male does not have to be involved in any way shape or form to produce eggs. Digging around in the plant was probably not a sufficient place for her to lay the eggs and therefor she abandoned laying. You should have(or still should if it is not too late) give her a laying bin that is around 12 X 12 and fill it with wet play sand. Here is some good info for you if not now, maybe for the future if you get another female. This is a good blog that gives you all the info you need about preparing for laying and after. https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html Edit: I also wanted to add that freezing is a horrible way for any creature to die, including humans and not the way to go here.

Last edited:
Putting a reptile in the freezer is absolutely NOT humane under the American Veterinary Medical Association guidelines!! These guidelines are the standard for all animals in all animal fields. And putting her in the fridge first will not make her fall asleep, it will only immobilize her so she just can't react to the pain she is feeling but will still feel it - not humane. Do not do this because it is slow and very painful as tissues and fluids start to crystallize before they die. Decapitation is not even enough in reptiles because their slow metabolism allows them to stay alive for too long afterward to be considered humane.

If you absolutely must do it yourself then what cainscham said is probably your best option. The most humane way is to go to a vet so she can be euthanized properly which is very quick and painless.

Thank you all very much. The whole freezing thing completely out of the equation now. Thanks for varifying that for me. I will try to work out a payment plan with a vet and see what they can do first if their is a way to save her and force her to lay them. When I get home from the hospital tonight i will make a couple different bins for her. I have one with peat moss already in. Ill make another one with wet play sand. I also heard that a good mixture is moist play sand and potting soil is good. Should i do this as well? Also how big should the bin be. Would shoe boxes be ok?

just curious but is it possible to have a chameleon, whether male or female, "fixed"??? especially in case of a female so that she stops all egg production, whether sterile or not?

Thank you all very much. The whole freezing thing completely out of the equation now. Thanks for varifying that for me. I will try to work out a payment plan with a vet and see what they can do first if their is a way to save her and force her to lay them. When I get home from the hospital tonight i will make a couple different bins for her. I have one with peat moss already in. Ill make another one with wet play sand. I also heard that a good mixture is moist play sand and potting soil is good. Should i do this as well? Also how big should the bin be. Would shoe boxes be ok?

i think one of the other members said 12x12 which im assuming is inches, not centimeters unless ofcourse you happen to have a childs playbox which could be 12 ft x 12 ft...

Yes...female chameleons can be "spayed". I've never heard of anything being done to a male intentionally to stop it from producing.

Freezing anything to death is cruel is hell.... i don't know how anyone or any book can say such a thing... set up a plan, or try to borrow some money... you said you want to do a humane act..

A healthy cham will drop its eggs right off the vine if it cant find a sufficient laying spot or not.

I've never heard that before... but I have heard of many healthy females who became egg bound due to excessive stress. I'm not criticizing, just wondering. Anyone else agree with that? I've never bred chameleons (I do currently have a gravid Jackson's though), so I wouldn't know.

I just spoke to the reptile vet here in jacksonville florida. They are closed tomorrow but told me to get some low fat milk that is lactose free and try to give her about .1 mil tonight. If she doesnt lay them tomorrow after setting up the bins and giving her this milk, i will take her to this vet thursday and they can give her an injection to force her to lay them. Any thoughts?

dude put a laying bin in her cage and leave her alone. really do you like someone watching you take a crap? most women don't want the world watching them give birth. if you are not capable of leaving her be or getting her to a vet them call a rescue and give them her.

I am not trying to be a jerk I just feel you need to look at the picture as a whole. or fork up the 60 dollars and quit looking for short cuts.

animals have feelings too!!! They deserve a chance just like everyone else!!!

I am going to apologize now as I do not see the world as a nerotipical would I have autism no specified . I am sorry if I came off as an A#$.

Back
Top Bottom