Trust Issues

Cobalt145

I've had my Cham for almost 2 years now and we have had a strong bond but recently he got an infection in his eye and because of how much stress I have to put him under a couple of times a day, to treat his eye, and force feed him his meds, he has wanted nothing to do with me, and is even going on a hunger strike. Any advice I've tried tempting him with food and sitting next to the open cage so that he sees I'm not trying to hurt him.

I've had my Cham for almost 2 years now and we have had a strong bond but recently he got an infection in his eye and because of how much stress I have to put him under a couple of times a day, to treat his eye, and force feed him his meds, he has wanted nothing to do with me, and is even going on a hunger strike. Any advice I've tried tempting him with food and sitting next to the open cage so that he sees I'm not trying to hurt him.
Food and unfiltered sunshine. Do you best to only have him associate you with positive experiences. I know that’s pretty much impossible right now with your current situation but aside from time it’s the only tools you have. Could you have someone else give him the food and meds? A family member maybe?

Food and unfiltered sunshine. Do you best to only have him associate you with positive experiences. I know that’s pretty much impossible right now with your current situation but aside from time, it’s the only tools you have. Could you have someone else give him the food and meds? A family member maybe?
My Family is helping me. So far I haven't had to grab him (I taught them how to do it without hurting him) but I'm there and giving him the drops. So he wants nothing to do with me right now.

Last edited:
Maybe wear a mask when giving meds? Jk.... but I wonder if that would work. :cautious:
LOL! I think it would work as far as him associating the stress with you but would probbably freak the Cham out even more if a creature he was unfamiliar with suddenly snatched him up. Defanitly wouldn’t want to wear some Halloween type mask while doing it, like a werewolf mask!

I'm in a Similar situation I went on vacation 2 weeks ago and ever since I got back my veiled wants nothing to do with me.

Mine never really likes me much anyway but I have been away for a week and still have a couple more to go so it will likely be like starting over for us. Haha.

She was fairly friendly. She would come out regularly and chill for awhile but now when I walk in the room she puffs up and flashes her piss off colors. Unless I have food that is then she want to be friends lol.

She was fairly friendly. She would come out regularly and chill for awhile but now when I walk in the room she puffs up and flashes her piss off colors. Unless I have food that is then she want to be friends lol.
Bring food all the time then! even if you don't give it to her it might help her calm down when she sees you.

Mine never really likes me much anyway but I have been away for a week and still have a couple more to go so it will likely be like starting over for us. Haha.
I mean if he didn't like you before maybe starting over now might be better? you never know you could come back and he'll just start loving you!

Back
Top Bottom