Troubling Tongue

Chill

Hey,

My big male amby was eating silkies today when I noticed while he was eating either he was being lazy or his tongue was shooting right. It only stuck out a lil bit. I want sure if this was a hydration issue or a food one, but if anyone gots any info im all ears.

thanks,

-Chill

When a chameleon has trouble shooting out its tongue, it could be due to an injury or an infection or due to dehydration or a sign of calcium balance problems.

What brand and type compact/coil or tube/linear) of UVB light do you use? Does it get any direct sunlight? Is there any glass or plastic between the light and the chameleon?

What is the temperature in the basking area?

What brands of supplements do you use and how often for each?

What do you gutload the insects with specifically?

Is your chameleon drinking well?

I agree with Kinyonga. I would add one differential that I see often as well, trauma. Some people that cup feed with a metal bowl, or free feed, have their cham hit their tongue a little harder than they meant to.

Kind of like a sprain. If this is the case they just need some time to get back to normal. A serious one could be permanant though. To give them a chance to get better, using easy prey items and positioning them closer and on a softer substrate (like a towel, or a bed of shredded romaine), might help.

Like Kinyonga is alluding to, this could be the first signs of other husbandry issues that are related to supplementation and foods...

Good luck,
Matthew

Back
Top Bottom