Trouble keeping dubias warm

VagrantQueen

Hello,

I've just recently began breeding dubia roaches (several are pregnant! Yay!) but with dropping temperatures I'm having trouble keeping them at the temp I would like to.

My setup is a rubber tub, lid on with mesh vent in one side. Underneath I have a human heating pad with no auto shut-off which is plugged into a thermostat. The temp gauge hanging roughly in the middle of the tub. (There's a small hole in the mesh for it to go through.)

The thermostat reads around 85F during the day and about 70F at night, roughly 10 degrees higher than the outside temp.

They are in the garage and moving them inside isn't an option. I rent a room from my parents and they've given me a very definite 'no' on that score.

Does anyone have any advice on keeping them warmer as the months get colder? We only reach the 30's during our coldest times.

-------

One thought I had was to place the tub inside of another larger one to create a layer of insulation. Since I'm not scientifically minded I don't know if that would have any adverse affects or even work. Maybe someone else does?

Thank you!

Hello,

I've just recently began breeding dubia roaches (several are pregnant! Yay!) but with dropping temperatures I'm having trouble keeping them at the temp I would like to.

My setup is a rubber tub, lid on with mesh vent in one side. Underneath I have a human heating pad with no auto shut-off which is plugged into a thermostat. The temp gauge hanging roughly in the middle of the tub. (There's a small hole in the mesh for it to go through.)

The thermostat reads around 85F during the day and about 70F at night, roughly 10 degrees higher than the outside temp.

They are in the garage and moving them inside isn't an option. I rent a room from my parents and they've given me a very definite 'no' on that score.

Does anyone have any advice on keeping them warmer as the months get colder? We only reach the 30's during our coldest times.

-------

One thought I had was to place the tub inside of another larger one to create a layer of insulation. Since I'm not scientifically minded I don't know if that would have any adverse affects or even work. Maybe someone else does?

Thank you!
An insulated tub would help. Get a ceramic heat emitter to heat up the roaches

I use a human heating pad for mine aswell, but i keep them in doors. You could place their rubbermade bin in a styrofoam box if you could find one large enough. cut a hole for the wires to get through the foam and then seal it off.

Thank you all. I'll get the tub insulated (or find one that already is). The pet heating pad is great too. I hadn't thought of one made for non-reptile pets.

Insectovore, you're right. I should have just asked to keep my pets food inside :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom