Trooper -THICK yellow scabby shed on wc quad

little leaf

Avid Member
Sooo, all and all Trooper is doing well, but he started this nasty very thick, yellow shed with strange scabs in the shed - it's like his body is getting rid of all the illness threw this shed? I don't see any secretions on the skin where these scabs are "shedding off", just skin colored bumps- and the skin under the shed looks fine, he is getting some really nice blue along his back and eyes- my question is, has anyone who got the wc quads seen this on any of your guys? I will TRY :eek: to add pic- doing from my phone :cool: but you can see how nasty the shed is, I have humidity WAYYYY up to help him get it off, I have never seen a shed like this? You can see how yellow it is, and the scabs :confused: ( the last pic is that scab skin before it fell off )

Attachments

• 20150317_194448-1-1.jpg
    20150317_194448-1-1.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 20150317_194448-1.jpg
    20150317_194448-1.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 148
  • 20150317_195332.jpg
    20150317_195332.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 179
  • 20150317_195733.jpg
    20150317_195733.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:
These sheds are what my Quads are going through as well. Yellow, tough to get off.

If I had to guess, the scab/black part of the shed, could maybe be part of the fungal infection all of them had.

I've been spraying 3 times a day and they are taking in a lot of water.

Cheryl you are just having to much fun with my chameleons. Bet you are happy to be down to just having Trooper aren't you? The only problem Kevin & Bill have with my chams is having weather that will allow shipping! You get all the fun.

Honestly I will be happy to have all my kids come home. This is March, and I have never seem chams I bought in December. That is just wrong. But I sure am glad that I have such wonderful keepers caring for my kids. Thank You, again.

Sooo, all and all Trooper is doing well, but he started this nasty very thick, yellow shed with strange scabs in the shed - it's like his body is getting rid of all the illness threw this shed? I don't see any secretions on the skin where these scabs are "shedding off", just skin colored bumps- and the skin under the shed looks fine, he is getting some really nice blue along his back and eyes- my question is, has anyone who got the wc quads seen this on any of your guys? I will TRY :eek: to add pic- doing from my phone :cool: but you can see how nasty the shed is, I have humidity WAYYYY up to help him get it off, I have never seen a shed like this? You can see how yellow it is, and the scabs :confused: ( the last pic is that scab skin before it fell off )

I have two males from that same shipment Trooper came in. Both have been in to the vet numerous times.

The one I bought the end of January, TianLong, had a shed like that but without the nasty spots. He started to look yellow and I feared he was getting ill, but instead shed an incredibly thick yellow shed. It came off easily.

TianLong was doing very well until I wormed him. Since worming, he has dropped a few grams with a poor appetite. He has roundworms, whip worms, flukes (could be free-living lung worms), flagellates and giardia. He's finished two treatments of Panacur for 3 to 5 days in a row. He has one more treatment. Today, he will finish a 5-day course of SMZ-TMP, which is I think the antibiotic Ralph gives his wild caughts when they crash 20 to 45 days after worming or purchase, whichever he uses as his Day 1 benchmark date.

My other one from that shipment, ShenLong, has had all kinds of problems, but surprisingly continues to gain weight. He has/had an infection that was/is draining into abscesses around his hips/hind legs. Those lumps have gotten much smaller over time, so the vet thinks he has walled off the infection and his body is reabsorbing the abscess. He was wormed within about a week of purchase (first week of January) and was clear of worms but a recent fecal showed giardia. I suspect he always had giardia but the other clinic didn't pick it up. He developed some sort of skin infection (the first vet didn't do a scraping/swab--I've since switched vets) and was treated with Baytril and wiped down daily with Chlorhexadine. The new vet did a swab and found lots of bacteria but nothing fungal. Those marks went away, but some new grey ones developed and got worse on his belly and under one leg. They look similar to the marks on Trooper's shed. The vet did a scraping and found nothing of significance other than bacteria, but because it had started when he was being wiped down with Chlorhexadine (with anti-fungal and antibacterial properties) and was on Baytril, she sent the slide off (still waiting for the results). I pushed for something to treat a fungal infection (thinking of the biopsy on Bill's female that died) since it was getting worse and she recommended I buy an over-the-counter antifungal. It seems to have gotten much better since I started treatment with the anti-fungal cream. He also has developed the early stages of a mouth infection which the vet swabbed and sent off to pathology as well. All in all, he has had one problem after another after another but seems to be on the improve. A few days after I bought him at the end of December, he weighed 40g. He now weighs 71g and has never really dropped weight even at his weakest and worst. Today he will get his last dose of a 5-day treatment of SMZ-TMP.

Today when I gave ShenLong his last dose of antibiotics, I took this picture of the lesions on the underside of his one back leg and belly. Still waiting for the results from the pathology lab.

Attachments

• 20150318_153444.jpg
    20150318_153444.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 142
If I had to guess, the scab/black part of the shed, could maybe be part of the fungal infection all of them had.

All of them had a fungal infection? Were they diagnosed by a vet with skin scrapings? How many had fungal infections?

My vet has not found anything fungal. Yet. She's looked at a skin swab a couple of weeks ago and a scraping of the lesions in the picture above Friday. She sent the slides to a pathology lab.

Go Trooper go! Hey Laurie, check out the nice blue on Trooper's back. Maybe I will send a female for breeding if you ever get him home.

Go Trooper go! Hey Laurie, check out the nice blue on Trooper's back. Maybe I will send a female for breeding if you ever get him home.

:D the pic does not even show how pretty the blue is - its really bright and deep in person - I am so excited for Laurie :D

Today when I gave ShenLong his last dose of antibiotics, I took this picture of the lesions on the underside of his one back leg and belly. Still waiting for the results from the pathology lab.

looks like the same stuff - black spots that shed off scabs - ewwww ! :eek:
but he is eating, drinking- waiting for my vet to call back so I can ask him also- will you let me know what your vet says also - :)

you know there was a thread about a deremensis with yellow shed ( or was it yellow horns and nail?:confused:) a few years back, I see if I can find it, perhaps there is an answer there

- will you let me know what your vet says also - :)

Of course I'll let you know.

Do you know anything more about Seiryu's comment that they all had a fungal infection: "If I had to guess, the scab/black part of the shed, could maybe be part of the fungal infection all of them had."

Of course I'll let you know.

Do you know anything more about Seiryu's comment that they all had a fungal infection: "If I had to guess, the scab/black part of the shed, could maybe be part of the fungal infection all of them had."

Not sure how accurate it is, may be more anecdotal, but the black lesions most imports come in with have commonly been referred to fungal lesions. Presumably the scrapes and bruises are more susceptible to fungal infections during the stress of importation and once alleviated in a proper environment, the chameleons immune system usually kicks in and they get sloughed off with subsequent sheds.

Not sure how accurate it is, may be more anecdotal, but the black lesions most imports come in with have commonly been referred to fungal lesions. Presumably the scrapes and bruises are more susceptible to fungal infections during the stress of importation and once alleviated in a proper environment, the chameleons immune system usually kicks in and they get sloughed off with subsequent sheds.

Thanks.

My ShenLong has had black marks that to me looked like black mold growing on his back but the swab said bacterial. A subsequent swab by another vet also couldn't find anything fungal. Even those nasty marks on his legs (pictured earlier in this thread) didn't show anything fungal, but we sent it away to a pathology lab just to be sure. She was quite aggressive with her scraping that was sent off, so hopefully I'll find out what it is and how to treat it.

All of them had a fungal infection? Were they diagnosed by a vet with skin scrapings? How many had fungal infections?

My vet has not found anything fungal. Yet. She's looked at a skin swab a couple of weeks ago and a scraping of the lesions in the picture above Friday. She sent the slides to a pathology lab.

I was in a rush, so worded it a little wrong. I meant it as a "Most/A lot of them came in with fungal issues".

When mine shed, you could see the black spots that had been previous fungal spots come off. Some of them are gone from the body now, but some stayed after the shed, although I don't think are active anymore. They were gray and somewhat squishy to start and are now black/harder, more scab like.

I was in a rush, so worded it a little wrong. I meant it as a "Most/A lot of them came in with fungal issues".

When mine shed, you could see the black spots that had been previous fungal spots come off. Some of them are gone from the body now, but some stayed after the shed, although I don't think are active anymore. They were gray and somewhat squishy to start and are now black/harder, more scab like.

Did a vet diagnose it or are you using your past experience?

Mine had nothing fungal, even those ugly raised spots pictured previously on his belly and underside of his leg. The pathology lab found nothing other than skin. The vet thinks that when I treated him with chlorhexadine (antibacterial/antifungal wash) that some became trapped under some retained shed skin and the body became irritated by it and produced excess skin in response to the irritation. He's now off everything except for one final round of Panacur for 5 days in a row starting Wednesday. I'll be so glad when I no longer have to torture and manhandle these poor wild caughts by medicating them.

Cheryl the animal looks good. The thicker yellowish shed is sign of healing and while I do no have the biological terminology right off to type here, it's normal for the circumstances this animal was put through. My female import had a few sheds like this before and right after the crash was being dealt with. She gave me her first white shed recently and even that had a slight yellow tint. I've seen it before with imports in years past.

Honestly I think I can say you made it based on that. Well done.

As for the fungal infection it was diagnosed by Bill Strand's vet sometime back and he shared it in a forum post early on. My .02 is that based on the shape and size of these marks they are from imports grabbing each other and sometimes poking thru the skin with their sharp nails. The nails being dirty is what transmits the fungal issue in part. However my logic means jack. All that matters is that you know it is a fungal infection and to go treat it.

Back to my cave, I'm having cable installed. If any of you see a power cord running from your house off into the forest please don't unplug it on Sundays when I'm watching the Walking Dead, now that I think about it the show reminds me of the first Quad shipment.

Cheryl the animal looks good. The thicker yellowish shed is sign of healing and while I do no have the biological terminology right off to type here, it's normal for the circumstances this animal was put through. My female import had a few sheds like this before and right after the crash was being dealt with. She gave me her first white shed recently and even that had a slight yellow tint. I've seen it before with imports in years past.

Honestly I think I can say you made it based on that. Well done.

As for the fungal infection it was diagnosed by Bill Strand's vet sometime back and he shared it in a forum post early on. My .02 is that based on the shape and size of these marks they are from imports grabbing each other and sometimes poking thru the skin with their sharp nails. The nails being dirty is what transmits the fungal issue in part. However my logic means jack. All that matters is that you know it is a fungal infection and to go treat it.

Back to my cave, I'm having cable installed. If any of you see a power cord running from your house off into the forest please don't unplug it on Sundays when I'm watching the Walking Dead, now that I think about it the show reminds me of the first Quad shipment.

Thanks, Ralph. I remember Bill's biopsy which was why we started mine on antifungal ointment before the results came back from the pathology lab. It turned out that the pathology found nothing other than excess skin. I wondered if anyone other than Bill and I have had skin lesions looked at by a vet or pathology lab. There was a comment that all were suffering fungal infections and I just wondered what the basis was for coming up with that comment.

There was a comment that all were suffering fungal infections and I just wondered what the basis was for coming up with that comment.

Rule #1 about imports. If one has it treat them all for it. Since all of the west coast animals came to Bill he was in a position to observe all of them at once. All of them had similar marks from a rough ride into the country, not all would be fungal. I don't doubt they are caused by the animals holding on to each other from the look of them. Stands to reason some would not have as clean nails as the next explaining why some would be infected and not others.

Back
Top Bottom