Trioceros Quadricornis & montium now legal?

CCT Reptiles

Established Member
Not sure if I’m reading this wrong but is this stating that trioceros montium & Quadricornis are no longer on a annual zero quota.I’ve heard rumors of Cameroon opening back up soon so thought this may be it
03932353-2814-4F3A-B6A3-5F08E777BBFA.png

I was reading about this development too. Trioceros quadricornis and Trioceros montium now have zero quotas and the suspension of trade is no longer in place. There is a ways before they become available and move from a CITES zero quotas to a CITES quota with exports again.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

You know, I only have three bucket list species , I was able to see a Quad back in the late 90s . It was an import. It came in in pretty poor condition, but still was amazingly beautiful. I’ve kept my eye out for these for a long time . Just like Parsons I never thought they would be obtainable in my lifetime. Well, I’ve kicked off one of the three. Working on the second O’Shaughnessy. But it looks like if this is true, I may get a chance at one of these two. That’s crazy. Amazing news. Thank you for sharing.

All three species listed by CITES Trioceros montium, Trioceros quadricornis, and Trioceros feae are all IUCN Red listed as non endangered species. Trioceros quadricornis is listed as Vulnerable, Trioceros montium is listed as Near Threatened, and Trioceros feae is listed as Near Threatened. These listings are a change because Trioceros quadricornis was IUCN listed as an Endangered species for a couple years.

There is something else to watch Trioceros cristatus another great chameleon is IUCN Listed as a Least Concern species. To my knowledge there has not been exports of Trioceros cristatus either in recent years. Trioceros cristatus being an IUCN Red List Least Concern species is a prospect consideration for another CITES Exports Quotas again too.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I’ve heard rumors of Cameroon opening back up soon so thought this may be it
Hasn't Cameroon been open this entire time for exports? Or did they shut down briefly? I remember talking with someone about a potential Cameroon export, but the minimum purchase price of animals was 10k. I'm pretty sure you could always get Trioceros cristatus, Rhampholeon spectrum, and Trioceros serratus. There's just not enough demand to justify an export

As for the montium and quadricornis news, that's awesome! It would be cool to see those species in the hobby again. Thanks @CCT Reptiles for sharing the news and for @Motherlode Chameleon explaining it in terms I can understand :)

Hasn't Cameroon been open this entire time for exports? Or did they shut down briefly? I remember talking with someone about a potential Cameroon export, but the minimum purchase price of animals was 10k. I'm pretty sure you could always get Trioceros cristatus, Rhampholeon spectrum, and Trioceros serratus. There's just not enough demand to justify an export

As for the montium and quadricornis news, that's awesome! It would be cool to see those species in the hobby again. Thanks @CCT Reptiles for sharing the news and for @Motherlode Chameleon explaining it in terms I can understand :)

Prior to this developement, the last Cameroon legal CITES export quotas were on 2018. Only three species that were a part of these CITES quotas and include Trioceros serratus, Trioceros cristatus and Trioceros oweni. Before 2018 the last CITES quotas were on 2009. Other under the radar exports of non CITES permits exports that are smuggled happen from time to time, especially to Europe.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

@Motherlode Chameleon you think this might happen to pfefferi as well? I’d love to get my hands on pfefferi one day. I think they are the coolest species in Cameroon
That would be epic keeping Trioceros pfefferi again. However Trioceros pfefferi is an IUCN Red List Endangered species. That means a CITES quota for the species Trioceros pfefferi is not probable until the IUCN Red List listing changes to a less threatened listing.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

Back
Top Bottom