Trioceros pfefferi hatchling

A guess between 16 à 20°C but for the real incubationtemperature I have to readout my datalogger. (this I do after the hatchling)

Number 8 also didn't make it out of the egg.
So I have 6 neonates and when I look at the dorsal crest I supposes 2.4.
I will try to shoot some pics so you can see the difference between male and female.
I am not sure about this, but future will tell if it is right.

I'm sorry for the last 2 babies, but 6 is also a good result!! and also if you're right 2.4 is a nice division!! we're waiting for the baby's pics :D

Thanks Jack!

Yesterday Jurgen and Joery was at my place to have a look at the neonates and I told them about sexing the neonates by looking at the dorsal crest.
So we had a look at the neonates and notice that there was a difference in the dorsal crest.
Please find below the pictures that shows the difference.
malefemalepfefferi.jpg

We gonna oberserve the neonates when they grow and I have marked the terrariums so we can see later that this is right to sexing the neonates.

Best regards,
Tom

Thanks Joery!

The neonates are doing great, they eat and drink good and are very active.

Today when I checked on my gravid female, I found here like this:)
img2117ns.jpg

A couple of minutes ago...
img2119ak.jpg

img2120p.jpg

img2121o.jpg

img2122n.jpg

So tomorrow I gonna dig them up and see how many eggs she have laid.

Hey Tom,

As also said on your own forum: Well done! It's always good when rear species are really bread!

And very well she is laying eggs again. Why do you wait one day before you dig them out?

Steven

Woooooooooooooooooooooo an other great news!! reserve a couple hatchlings from those eggs for me!! :D
It's really interesting your supposition about the dorsal crest.. i think also with T. montium it's possible to make a similar speech, because they're very similar in morphology, and males are more long-limbed than females like these T. pfefferi..

@Steven, I let the eggs dry up. The rest I will explain later when I see, in Dutch.

@Jack, I hope to see some hatchling from my montiums in a couple of weeks and then I can check this.

:D I will give Emmanuel or Guy some eggs to bring to the Chameleon Symposium. :D
lol

The female is doing great, she eat and drinks good and is back ready to breed. :)

At the moment the neonates are doing well and they prefer to eat beanbeetles instead of crickets.

Best regards,
Tom

bean beetles?

From: Chameleon Forums > Advanced Topics > Chameleon Genera > Trioceros > Trioceros pfefferi hatchling

At the moment the neonates are doing well and they prefer to eat beanbeetles instead of crickets.

Best regards,
Tom

Congrats on your new neonates!

Off topic: I am very curious about the statement above - do you know the species? Is it Callosobruchus maculatus?
Here in the U. S., we think of a different pest when we use that common name, but I assumed you meant a beetle that feeds on dry beans.

I am looking for other feeders for hatchlings and these intrigue me.

Last edited:
the bean beetles Tom gives look slightly different but i'm not sure. The beetles feed on green beans or those black eyed white beans. Around here they are commonly used for frogs. They are pretty good food for babies though :D

I don't know exactly which one Tom uses, found different bean beetles available here for use for terrarium animals.

Here we are again with some great new news!
The second clutch hatched on Friday and Saturday morning I got six new neonates!
mg2668.jpg

mg2666.jpg

mg2667.jpg

Best regards,
Tom

Back
Top Bottom