Trioceros johnstonii discussion group

This guy looks better and better every week.
full

Coooool! He looks great! My girl is big and down to 1 cricket a day.

gaqaqaje.jpg

My male waiting to be held!
ajyja6er.jpg

e6e2yhat.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
On the throat edema, I recently acquired a gravid female T. perreti that had severe edema. It was determined that she was suffering from hypovitaminosis of A and D. After two days of heavy dusting of feeders with multivitamin, there was no sign of edema.

In the case of edema of gravid females, I suggest we start suspecting hypovitaminosis instead of hypervitaminosis. Making eggs takes a lot of vitamins and minerals out of the female, and if we don't replace them somehow they will show symptoms...IMO.

Thanks Mike,

I've kept the multivitamin to a minimum thinking that I was good doing it through a gutload and a once a month dusting.

She isn't eating and is starring at her dirt today. I'm hoping that she starts digging soon.

What do you mean by heavy dose? 2 times a week?

Jason

On the throat edema, I recently acquired a gravid female T. perreti that had severe edema. It was determined that she was suffering from hypovitaminosis of A and D. After two days of heavy dusting of feeders with multivitamin, there was no sign of edema.

In the case of edema of gravid females, I suggest we start suspecting hypovitaminosis instead of hypervitaminosis. Making eggs takes a lot of vitamins and minerals out of the female, and if we don't replace them somehow they will show symptoms...IMO.

Thanks Mike,

I've kept the multivitamin to a minimum thinking that I was good doing it through a gutload and a once a month dusting.

She isn't eating and is starring at her dirt today. I'm hoping that she starts digging soon.

What do you mean by heavy dose? 2 times a week?

Jason

I would NEVER give gravid females high dosages of synthetic vitamins.
Special vit a can block kidneys and liver and damage the forever.
Better gut load your crickets with organic fruit and vegetables,i meanly use dandelion leaves and minerall indoor who only uses natural ingredients.

I would NEVER give gravid females high dosages of synthetic vitamins.
Special vit a can block kidneys and liver and damage the forever.
Better gut load your crickets with organic fruit and vegetables,i meanly use dandelion leaves and minerall indoor who only uses natural ingredients.

What would you do if yours were diagnosed with hypovitaminosis and the vet gave vitamins as the treatment?

I never had a cham diagnosed with hypovitaminosis,if you proper gut load your crickets you never have problems.

It seems that quite a few gravid females suffer from edema. I'd like to learn why. I don't know everything yet. This latest diagnosis might be a clue, I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that the female I acquired had edema so bad that she could roll over. She could not grip branches, her throat was so swollen I don't know how she could eat or breathe. It was that bad. It was obvious that there was no way she could have dug her nest in that condition. She had no coordination and her feet were so swollen she could not climb.

Within two days of heavily dusting her feeders with a multivitamin powder, there were no signs of edema. Just a few days later she dug her egg tunnel and laid 7 fertile eggs.

If I would have just relied on gut loading to save her I don't know if she would have made it. The previous owner was fastidious about gut loading and used arcadia bulbs and it still happened. Again I don't claim to know it all, but I can't dismiss this latest discovery in my quest for knowledge as being a total fluke.

edit....In case anybody was wondering what I used, it was "Repashy Calcium Plus". The label says you should use it at every feeding. I personally do not feel that is prudent, but I do believe two feedings a week works for me. I used to use "Reptocal" which is loaded in synthetic vitamin A, but I cut it with pure calcium. I have always used vitamin supplements in addition to gut loading.

I used it every feeding for a straight week for this one female, then switched to twice a week same as my others get. I know it goes against the beliefs of the majority of keepers here, but I have always used vitamin supplements for my chams and will continue to do so. I also formulate and mill my own calcium/magnesium/D3 powder. Been doing that since the 90's.

I'm only sharing what I do, not preaching or giving advice, feel free to judge or ignore as you please.;)

Last edited:
It seems that quite a few gravid females suffer from edema. I'd like to learn why. I don't know everything yet. This latest diagnosis might be a clue, I don't know for sure.

What I do know is that the female I acquired had edema so bad that she could roll over. She could not grip branches, her throat was so swollen I don't know how she could eat or breathe. It was that bad. It was obvious that there was no way she could have dug her nest in that condition. She had no coordination and her feet were so swollen she could not climb.

Within two days of heavily dusting her feeders with a multivitamin powder, there were no signs of edema. Just a few days later she dug her egg tunnel and laid 7 fertile eggs.

If I would have just relied on gut loading to save her I don't know if she would have made it. The previous owner was fastidious about gut loading and used arcadia bulbs and it still happened. Again I don't claim to know it all, but I can't dismiss this latest discovery in my quest for knowledge as being a total fluke.

edit....In case anybody was wondering what I used, it was "Repashy Calcium Plus". The label says you should use it at every feeding. I personally do not feel that is prudent, but I do believe two feedings a week works for me. I used to use "Reptocal" which is loaded in synthetic vitamin A, but I cut it with pure calcium. I have always used vitamin supplements in addition to gut loading.

I used it every feeding for a straight week for this one female, then switched to twice a week same as my others get. I know it goes against the beliefs of the majority of keepers here, but I have always used vitamin supplements for my chams and will continue to do so. I also formulate and mill my own calcium/magnesium/D3 powder. Been doing that since the 90's.

I'm only sharing what I do, not preaching or giving advice, feel free to judge or ignore as you please.;)
I also use vitamins but only organic.
Especially carrots,alfalfa and dandelion leaves are rich in natural vit a.(not only A but almost all the important vitamins and minerals)
More than 15 years ago i was also experimenting with synthetic vitamins and i lost so many animals by it (specially mountain species)that i never used it again and my animals never looked more healthy than from than on.

It's been a week of no eating. my female johnstoni is all over her cage but has not started digging yet . She goes down to the dirt but doesn't dig. I've tried fresh dirt and a bigger bucket. she looks so big and miserable.

It's been a week of no eating. my female johnstoni is all over her cage but has not started digging yet . She goes down to the dirt but doesn't dig. I've tried fresh dirt and a bigger bucket. she looks so big and miserable.

Go to the vet and give here an injection with oxytocine,after that but her in a dark box for 12h she will lay all the eggs normally without any problem ;)

We are at the vet now. She is getting a calcium shot and oxytocin. She is super stressed.

uvetu2et.jpg

a8aveje8.jpg
My beautiful girl had 10 eggs! 2 look bad.

She is still sleeping. I can't wait to see how she is doing.

sooo excited!

another pic from the vets.

yne8ajev.jpg

nuqape7y.jpg

Back
Top Bottom