Trioceros hoehnelii help please

Vert340

Established Member
Long story short an uncle that likes giving surprise gifts to family members heard from my brother that I wanted a chameleon with
" spikes on his head" I had been wanting a jacksons for a while, so I was like okay thats cool. After he showed me a picture of it on his phone I quickly saw that it wasn't a jacksons at all. The chameleon looked more like a chameleon mixed with an iguana to me. After looking around the web for a while I was able to find that it was a trioceros hoehnelii. I'm picking the little dude up in 2 hours.

I need your guys help though. I couldn't really find a detailed caresheet online for this chameleon. I'll find some sites with a bit of info here and there, but nothing really detailed. It could be that i suck at finding information tbh :'). Which is stressing me out a bit. Any advice or information you guys can give is appreciated. I made my mesh cage with a jacksons in mind, but will it work for this kind of chameleon too? Are pothos and drawf umbrella plant/tree good for this kind of chameleon too? I'm hoping that i don't gotta switch out the plants at this short of a notice but i will if i gotta.

Jacksjill is right, the care for hoehnelii is similar to jacksonii. Hoehnelii can take lower night time temps, down to almost freezing, but are comfortable at 38-40F.. High temps are the same 70-80F.
They bask a lot and should be provided an area to bask and absorb uvb that doesn't get too hot. For a smaller species they eat more than most of similar size. Food prey is smaller than jacksonii.
If you have questions, feel free to ask me. These are one of my favorite species. If you want to see some of the different geographic morphs look through my posts in the photograghy section.

Last edited:
If you post a picture I might be able to tell you what area it's from. Probably sex it too.
Awesome, I have a few pics i took before i left for work. Hopefully these will give you enough info to determine that stuff. Also my main question rn is what type if bulb and uvbulb would recommend? I just wanna make sure i get the best light for it

Attachments

• 20200116_113328.jpg
    20200116_113328.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 139
  • 20200116_113307.jpg
    20200116_113307.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 88
  • 20200115_145803.jpg
    20200115_145803.jpg
    193.3 KB · Views: 92
so! you got the info! ;) remember about the cold temperatures, I was keeping my hoeh outside when temperature at night was 4-5 Celsius and.. they were fine and happy!
If your unforfortable, they are confortable! basking 25w 3 hours a day is suffisant, natural plants and small feeder!

UVB : like any other chameleon, linear bulb t5ho 5.0 or 6% Arcadia ;)

Remember females give live birth ;) since this is probably wc, if its female be ready

Looks to be a male, not guaranteed. Cute little guy.This locale is from the Nairobi area.
More pictures would help to determine sex.
I can't help you with uvb bulbs as mine are outdoors all year except on the occasional too cold nights.
I have to say this is a wonderful species to work with, I have so much fun with them!

Last edited:
Looks to be a male, not guaranteed. Cute little guy.This locale is from the Nairobi area.
More pictures would help to determine sex.
I can't help you with uvb bulbs as mine are outdoors all year except on the occasional too cold nights.
I have to say this is a wonderful species to work with, I have so much fun with them!
Okay here are a few more pics hopefully they are what ya need to determine the sex. I wanted to get more and better quality ones,but he didn't feel lile coming out today haha. If you need any spesific pics to determine the sex just let me know! Also yeah he seems pretty cool, really loving him :).

Attachments

• 20200117_101708(1).jpg
    20200117_101708(1).jpg
    306.9 KB · Views: 78
  • 20200117_102210.jpg
    20200117_102210.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 114
  • 20200117_101850.jpg
    20200117_101850.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 83
  • 20200117_101741.jpg
    20200117_101741.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 76
so! you got the info! ;) remember about the cold temperatures, I was keeping my hoeh outside when temperature at night was 4-5 Celsius and.. they were fine and happy!
If your unforfortable, they are confortable! basking 25w 3 hours a day is suffisant, natural plants and small feeder!

UVB : like any other chameleon, linear bulb t5ho 5.0 or 6% Arcadia ;)

Remember females give live birth ;) since this is probably wc, if its female be ready
Ty so much for the light info!

Back
Top Bottom