Trembling when eating superworm

CLP

I just bought some superworms for my 3 month old veiled. They are about 1.5 inches long. Anyhow, I tried feeding him one and he took it right away. He crunched/chewed on it as he swallowed it down. Anyhow, he got it about 3/4 of the way down, and then when just the end of it was still sticking out of his mouth, seemed to tremble for a few seconds :confused:. Almost like we do when we're cold. Any idea what caused this? I've never seen him do that before. Do you think the worms are too big for him? He got it down and seemed fine afterwards, but the trembling concerrned me. Any ideas?

Sounds like he was choking. When you feed super worms crush the jaws so they can't bite. Um that is alittle big I think...

Trembling is normal, some grow out of it, some dont. its a defense mech along the lines of the "shake dance walk". It should go like this:

tongue
chomp
(perfectly still while he looks around to see if anyone saw him)
chew a little
Does the head shaky if he is nervous
chews and swallows

I have one bearded dragon that still does the head vibrate thing every time he eats, and he is 10 years old.

The head crushing thing is under debate. On one hand you have the people who think the living head can eat the stomach lining. On the other hand you have breeders who for years goes through thousands a day and laugh at the head pincher people.

PS super worms are for adult lizards, not babies, if you want to feed him that, feed him normal meal worms. Supers are when you graduate to full grown crickets.

mine did this tremble thing when he ate locuts , shaked his head and than trembled .
like he was trying to kill it and be proud of it lol

I noticed my cham do this but with hornworms, I figured out my cause though, i had them in the fridge and they were still pretty cold, musta been too cold for his liking, shivered a bit then wolfed it down.

I just bought some superworms for my 3 month old veiled. They are about 1.5 inches long. Anyhow, I tried feeding him one and he took it right away. He crunched/chewed on it as he swallowed it down. Anyhow, he got it about 3/4 of the way down, and then when just the end of it was still sticking out of his mouth, seemed to tremble for a few seconds :confused:. Almost like we do when we're cold. Any idea what caused this? I've never seen him do that before. Do you think the worms are too big for him? He got it down and seemed fine afterwards, but the trembling concerrned me. Any ideas?

probably too large for him

(there is no need, IMHO, to crush the jaws of the superworms)

Yeah, I think I'll just hold off on these superworms right now. I wouldn't want to hurt the little guy! He already panicked me once right after I got him and he stopped eating. He's over that now and I'm sure it was just him adjusting to his new surroundings like everyone on here told me :eek:

Glad to have this forum to come to with questions. Might be nothing to worry about with the worms, but I'd rather not take the chance.

Thanks for all your input :)

Back
Top Bottom