Veiled eating less than normal

Orangejuiceman

My veiled aboit5 months old, when I got him he would easily eat 3-6 crickets a day with haste. Now about a month and a half later he seems to be slowing down drastically. He’s even started refusing super worms which is not like him at all. I’m also very concerned because I saw his eyes closed the other day at about 5pm…..what am I doing wrong

Currently I am using an Arcadia T5 6% linear bulb with a ceramic basking lamp in an aluminum housing. Not an actual incandescent bulb (arrives in the mail this evening)
His day temp is 80 - 85 in Miami Florida, he get morning sun from his window when I open the glass, humidity is 50% in the day 80% at night, he has hiding spots and levels all the way down to the ground….I mean I thought I had it all covered. I feel it’s his food. His crickets or their deficiency in nutrients, maybe my crickets are weak and dying and he’s eating them. I’m not but loading properly….I use no supplements or vitamins or calcium, I feel this is nutritional not light based or temp being in Miami. What am I missing here….I even take him outside sometimes before 8am. He never shows stress colors and is always green. He’s just closing his eyes for seconds at a time during the day like a quick nap and sometimes had his head in the air. Is this respiratory? His age is all mesh, could be the AC at night?
34DF25DA-6230-4CC5-8E92-63354FFB2920.jpeg

Attachments

• 692EAB97-E649-4B33-8E27-98D5E3176755.jpeg
    692EAB97-E649-4B33-8E27-98D5E3176755.jpeg
    280.3 KB · Views: 42
Currently I am using an Arcadia T5 6% linear bulb with a ceramic basking lamp in an aluminum housing. Not an actual incandescent bulb (arrives in the mail this evening)
His day temp is 80 - 85 in Miami Florida, he get morning sun from his window when I open the glass, humidity is 50% in the day 80% at night, he has hiding spots and levels all the way down to the ground….I mean I thought I had it all covered. I feel it’s his food. His crickets or their deficiency in nutrients, maybe my crickets are weak and dying and he’s eating them. I’m not but loading properly….I use no supplements or vitamins or calcium, I feel this is nutritional not light based or temp being in Miami. What am I missing here….I even take him outside sometimes before 8am. He never shows stress colors and is always green. He’s just closing his eyes for seconds at a time during the day like a quick nap and sometimes had his head in the air. Is this respiratory? His age is all mesh, could be the AC at night?
View attachment 338192

I use no supplements or vitamins or calcium,
So this is part of the issue.... you have to use supplements to balance out the phosphorus to calcium level in the feeders. So you want to get a calcium without D3 to use at all feedings and then a multivitamin to use 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. You could purchase Reptivite with D3 or Repashy Calcium Plus LoD version for this. Both of these have the multivitamins needed.

The crickets will die if they are not being fed properly and or they are not kept clean.

I would pull all of that moss out. If he eats it then it is a major imaction risk.

When they are young like this they should easily be taking down 2 dozen feeders a day. So it may be the lack of proper supplementation but it could also be a health issue. Where did you purchase the cham from?

Can you take some pics of the chameleon for me please? So I can see it without the screen.

So this is part of the issue.... you have to use supplements to balance out the phosphorus to calcium level in the feeders. So you want to get a calcium without D3 to use at all feedings and then a multivitamin to use 2 times a month say the 1st and the 15th. You could purchase Reptivite with D3 or Repashy Calcium Plus LoD version for this. Both of these have the multivitamins needed.

The crickets will die if they are not being fed properly and or they are not kept clean.

I would pull all of that moss out. If he eats it then it is a major imaction risk.

When they are young like this they should easily be taking down 2 dozen feeders a day. So it may be the lack of proper supplementation but it could also be a health issue. Where did you purchase the cham from?

Can you take some pics of the chameleon for me please? So I can see it without the screen.
I purchased him from pet smart at 3.5 months, he was healthy and an avid eater but has definitely slowed his appetite down. Maybe his crickets are too big, but I’m definitely missing the nutrition side. I will go to pet smart right now and get everything for his supplants. I’ve been tong feeding, should I get him a cup, he seems to like to hunt as well.

Attachments

• 5488373C-2CF4-43E2-B4F2-A31E17722FB4.jpeg
    5488373C-2CF4-43E2-B4F2-A31E17722FB4.jpeg
    165.8 KB · Views: 42
  • AA902238-A4B8-4834-A9C6-A9511848F7A3.jpeg
    AA902238-A4B8-4834-A9C6-A9511848F7A3.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 9FC296CA-B7F4-4EF8-A2EB-37337A108C43.jpeg
    9FC296CA-B7F4-4EF8-A2EB-37337A108C43.jpeg
    113.1 KB · Views: 43
  • 1957599F-93DB-4B4B-811F-675C8F98C3C6.jpeg
    1957599F-93DB-4B4B-811F-675C8F98C3C6.jpeg
    112.8 KB · Views: 55
I purchased him from pet smart at 3.5 months, he was healthy and an avid eater but has definitely slowed his appetite down. Maybe his crickets are too big, but I’m definitely missing the nutrition side. I will go to pet smart right now and get everything for his supplants. I’ve been tong feeding, should I get him a cup, he seems to like to hunt as well.
Hi and welcome have you had a fecal done( poop test for parasites) ?

I would get rid of the ceramic heater you need to get a proper basking light , do you have the ceramic on a thermostat? Do you have it on all the time ?

I would get rid of the ceramic heater you need to get a proper basking light , do you have the ceramic on a thermostat? Do you have it on all the time ?
Okay I will do that asap. 70 watt or should I do something dimmable so I can adjust temperature? I turn lights on 7am and off at sunset about 8. Everything goes off and the room is empty and peaceful

Not a test but from what I’ve read it looks normal and hydrated but I never see him drink
Hi that is not what I mean, I am not talking about your chameleon drinking or being hydrated , I'm talking about parasites, ie puppies/ dogs having worms , reptiles just the same can and do carry parasites which if not tested for and left untreated can be fatal ( sorry to be blunt) you did to get a vet to do a fecal test ASAP

Okay I will do that asap. 70 watt or should I do something dimmable so I can adjust temperature? I turn lights on 7am and off at sunset about 8. Everything goes off and the room is empty and peaceful
No one bulb wattage suits all and different bulbs have different performance, In my opinion a temperatures of 27c (like 78/ 80 f max) also as babies screen climb there enclosures best to have in raised off the mesh , if you have a dimmable thermostat then good , what type ?

Right. I meant when it comes to poop, I haven’t tested for parasites, only observed consistency and color. This behavior is only two days old and this blog post is my first line of action so far and reading information from others who have experienced this.
Fecal test, calcium supplements and gut loading crickets properly. I’ve heard at his age he should’ve eating anywhere from 6-20 crickets, the schools of thought seem to be all over the place so I am looking for balance.

So you want to reduce your insect sizes. I can tell based on those pics of him eating they are far too big. He will not go for them if they are too large. And baby needs to be eating to sustain growth rate. I would reduce down to nothing larger than 1/2 long. for Superworms only buy the small size. The larger ones will bite and then you run the risk of mouth rot.

But you have to get the supplements and use them as I had stated above. They will be used to very lightly dust the feeders just prior to giving them to the cham. No powdered donuts effect.

I agree with the feedback on the ceramic heater as well. :)

Right. I meant when it comes to poop, I haven’t tested for parasites, only observed consistency and color. This behavior is only two days old and this blog post is my first line of action so far and reading information from others who have experienced this.
Fecal test, calcium supplements and gut loading crickets properly. I’ve heard at his age he should’ve eating anywhere from 6-20 crickets, the schools of thought seem to be all over the place so I am looking for balance.
Hi ok so yes it can be overwhelming, the way I deal with stuff is to write things down, and put things in categories and look at each thing individually, and prioritise , and tick the most important one at a time , but not forgetting that with a young chameleon they are all important, but you have come to the best place for advice and support

So you want to reduce your insect sizes. I can tell based on those pics of him eating they are far too big. He will not go for them if they are too large. And baby needs to be eating to sustain growth rate. I would reduce down to nothing larger than 1/2 long. for Superworms only buy the small size. The larger ones will bite and then you run the risk of mouth rot.

But you have to get the supplements and use them as I had stated above. They will be used to very lightly dust the feeders just prior to giving them to the cham. No powdered donuts effect.

I agree with the feedback on the ceramic heater as well. :)
Alright I switched out the basking light this morning, got his vitamins and supplements one without the three and one with, I made him a feeder cup, lightly dusted small crickets he is watching them but he doesn’t seem interested in eating.
Last night when I was misting, he put his head. In the air and drank as much as he could for almost the entire misting period, never seen him do that.
No poop yesterday or today and haven’t seen him eat yet. He’s still agile and vibrant, but I did catch his eyes closed again a minute ago.

Sitting and waiting for him to eat currently

Attached photos of husbandry, when the door is closed put the vines back around so he has plenty of room to hide

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 44
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    221.5 KB · Views: 41
Hi you will want to get digital temp and humidity gauges the analogue one you have in the picture are not very accurate, as for a brand I cant recommend as I live in the uk and not sure what you have available over there, if indeed the humidity level shown on your hygro is correct its to high you will want 30 to 50% for a veiled days ( also if they get sprayed will give you false readings

Alright I switched out the basking light this morning, got his vitamins and supplements one without the three and one with, I made him a feeder cup, lightly dusted small crickets he is watching them but he doesn’t seem interested in eating.
Last night when I was misting, he put his head. In the air and drank as much as he could for almost the entire misting period, never seen him do that.
No poop yesterday or today and haven’t seen him eat yet. He’s still agile and vibrant, but I did catch his eyes closed again a minute ago.

Sitting and waiting for him to eat currently

Attached photos of husbandry, when the door is closed put the vines back around so he has plenty of room to hide
The cup is red which may be part of the issue. They tend to not like bright colors like that. They signify a threat to them.
I would either buy a feeder run or make one. https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/

The cup is red which may be part of the issue. They tend to not like bright colors like that. They signify a threat to them.
I would either buy a feeder run or make one. https://dragonstrand.com/constructing-a-chameleon-feeder-run/
that went through my mind. It was my panic decision this morning but I have since replaced it.

Update: since this morning he has pooped, eaten a few baby crickets, tried to eat his pothos leaf, drank a bit and is being very active around his cage

My veiled aboit5 months old, when I got him he would easily eat 3-6 crickets a day with haste. Now about a month and a half later he seems to be slowing down drastically. He’s even started refusing super worms which is not like him at all. I’m also very concerned because I saw his eyes closed the other day at about 5pm…..what am I doing wrong
Just an update for anyone who is curious. OJ is back to his normal self it seems. He ate 12 baby crickets today covered in non d3 calcium supp, his basking light is new, better leaf coverage, I made cricket run for him, he is climbing all around and being very lively, even crawled out of his cage onto my hand which he’s been reluctant to lately.

I appreciate everyone who posted and helped out, the last two days have given me so much anxiety it’s insane.

Attachments

• 8F85E811-C046-49DB-982D-DF81DE0860B5.jpeg
    8F85E811-C046-49DB-982D-DF81DE0860B5.jpeg
    174.9 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom