Lil boy won't use his run feeder

ChameLeon_

I've put together a DIY run feeder for him and put it in a nice place, with lots of branches around it to give him any angles he likes. However, he refuses to use it. Roaches run on it up and down when i put them there, but he just looks and ignores them completely. Ignoring other cups too, of course.

Since i want him to eat something, i pick the roaches one by one and place them around him on branches, as soon as he sees my hand with tweezers in it he goes towards me and when i put the roach on a branch and it runs to hide, he goes for it immediately, hunting it down no matter where it goes.

Today I've even dropped one unintentionally and couldn't find him, until he spotted the roach and hunted him even in the bottom part of the cage, so he likes roaches obviously. But still won't use the feeder. Breeder used to free roam his food, but i cannot do that as the cage is a DIY one as well, and there are some smaller gaps and I don't want them to get out of there, so i just put one by one on branches, one after another is eaten.

Any ideas how i could get him to eat from feeder cup too please? Should i put more roaches in it so they move around more? When i put about 15, they move for a while until they find some cozy position and then stay put for hours... Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20230902_151058.jpg
    IMG_20230902_151058.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20230901_150250.jpg
    IMG_20230901_150250.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20230902_151852.jpg
    IMG_20230902_151852.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 45
I've put together a DIY run feeder for him and put it in a nice place, with lots of branches around it to give him any angles he likes. However, he refuses to use it. Roaches run on it up and down when i put them there, but he just looks and ignores them completely. Ignoring other cups too, of course.

Since i want him to eat something, i pick the roaches one by one and place them around him on branches, as soon as he sees my hand with tweezers in it he goes towards me and when i put the roach on a branch and it runs to hide, he goes for it immediately, hunting it down no matter where it goes.

Today I've even dropped one unintentionally and couldn't find him, until he spotted the roach and hunted him even in the bottom part of the cage, so he likes roaches obviously. But still won't use the feeder. Breeder used to free roam his food, but i cannot do that as the cage is a DIY one as well, and there are some smaller gaps and I don't want them to get out of there, so i just put one by one on branches, one after another is eaten.

Any ideas how i could get him to eat from feeder cup too please? Should i put more roaches in it so they move around more? When i put about 15, they move for a while until they find some cozy position and then stay put for hours... Thanks!

1st of all... excellent DIY feeder! That looks great.

How long have you been using the feeder? It will take some time. Remember, any time we add something new to their enclosure, it's a process for them. I've noticed when I've added a stick to the opposite end of the enclosure, Spike will go investigate it the next day and do a whole routine.

It takes some time for them to get used to the feeder too. I'd put crickets in there as @JacksJill already suggested. Especially if the roaches aren't really climbing up it. But keep using it and give it at least a few days and see if he comes around to it. He should! Especially if you STOP giving in and feeding him how you are. Cut off the food supply the way he is used to and he will likely adjust when he sees food.

1st of all... excellent DIY feeder! That looks great.

How long have you been using the feeder? It will take some time. Remember, any time we add something new to their enclosure, it's a process for them. I've noticed when I've added a stick to the opposite end of the enclosure, Spike will go investigate it the next day and do a whole routine.

It takes some time for them to get used to the feeder too. I'd put crickets in there as @JacksJill already suggested. Especially if the roaches aren't really climbing up it. But keep using it and give it at least a few days and see if he comes around to it. He should! Especially if you STOP giving in and feeding him how you are. Cut off the food supply the way he is used to and he will likely adjust when he sees food.
Thank you haha did my best! I dont have any crickets right now so im stuck with roaches, but they are climbing up and down from time to time, sometimes even stop in the middle so theres plenty of time for him to shot them down. I've thought about not feeding him by tweezers and just put them in and let him adjust, but i thought its too drastic 😅 I've used it right away when i got him, so about fourth day today. He's hungry tho, any time i pick a roach up, any time of the day, he snaps them right away.

I’m not a good judge of veiled ages but is he at a point where his growth has slowed and his appetite is dropping off? If so he may not be motivated to try something different.
Dont think so, hes pretty eager to eat whenever i give him something, be it in the morning or afternoon. He should be around 5 months old tops.

My veieled chameleon won’t eat from a feeder cup or a feeder run. I considered leaving it in there until his hunger strike ends but oh well, I clean on the daily and have a bare floor so I let the crickets run up the screen.

Great looking DIY feeder! It might take a little time for your cham to get used to it. Recommend starting with a couple of crickets at a time. Worked great for my chams. To many feeders compacted into a small area may be confusing to pick one to snatch.

Thank you haha did my best! I dont have any crickets right now so im stuck with roaches, but they are climbing up and down from time to time, sometimes even stop in the middle so theres plenty of time for him to shot them down. I've thought about not feeding him by tweezers and just put them in and let him adjust, but i thought its too drastic 😅 I've used it right away when i got him, so about fourth day today. He's hungry tho, any time i pick a roach up, any time of the day, he snaps them right away.
I really think you should hold your ground. You're still feeding him. So if he really gets hungry I think he will eat, then learn to eat from the feeder. There's no way he will let himself starve vs eat from the feeder IMO

Hey there.. So you want to load the feeder run with like 2 dozen feeders. Do you have crickets? Roaches do not always climb the back wall of these but crickets do.
He is still young and will learn how to use this. Just needs to see lots of movement so he understands.

Hey there.. So you want to load the feeder run with like 2 dozen feeders. Do you have crickets? Roaches do not always climb the back wall of these but crickets do.
He is still young and will learn how to use this. Just needs to see lots of movement so he understands.
I've put in about 15 so far, I'll try putting in more and see where that goes. I don't have crickets unfortunately, but I'll try to get some, won't they jump out tho? Right now even if i put roach on a branch and he moves like a tiny little bit, he's all over him.. it's like he doesn't like the looks of the feeder or what 😂

Maybe I should give the feeder run a try again. It just takes away from the jungle illusion IMO haha

I've put in about 15 so far, I'll try putting in more and see where that goes. I don't have crickets unfortunately, but I'll try to get some, won't they jump out tho? Right now even if i put roach on a branch and he moves like a tiny little bit, he's all over him.. it's like he doesn't like the looks of the feeder or what 😂
So if the roaches are hiding in the base cup portion he is not going to view it as hunting. This is why you want crickets because they climb the back... They rarely jump out in my experience but yes it can happen.

So if the roaches are hiding in the base cup portion he is not going to view it as hunting. This is why you want crickets because they climb the back... They rarely jump out in my experience but yes it can happen.
I've tried it today, just put loads in the run feeder and nowhere else, and he ate from it no problem! Only thing is he discovered he can climb on top of the feeder and hunt from there as well, and it's a little bit higher than his basking branch so there's a chance of UVB burn i think.. he doesn't spend much time there, still prefers his basking branch since there's the heat bulb too, but sometimes he's there a little while.. don't know if that could be a problem?

I've tried it today, just put loads in the run feeder and nowhere else, and he ate from it no problem! Only thing is he discovered he can climb on top of the feeder and hunt from there as well, and it's a little bit higher than his basking branch so there's a chance of UVB burn i think.. he doesn't spend much time there, still prefers his basking branch since there's the heat bulb too, but sometimes he's there a little while.. don't know if that could be a problem?
Please keep in mind I am still a new keeper. However, I was told by my chameleons breeder not to really worry about UVB burning. Especially if he's just hanging up there when he's eating.

From what I am told it's the heating lamp that you need to worry about (so I backed mine away from the top of the enclosure). This could be more of an issue IF you are using a 12% bulb. If you are, maybe some of the more experienced keepers in here could chime in. But from what I understand, him hanging out there to eat should not be an issue, esp if it's really only when he's eating.

Now if he's up there hanging out at that same spot all day, that may be a different story.

Please keep in mind I am still a new keeper. However, I was told by my chameleons breeder not to really worry about UVB burning. Especially if he's just hanging up there when he's eating.

From what I am told it's the heating lamp that you need to worry about (so I backed mine away from the top of the enclosure). This could be more of an issue IF you are using a 12% bulb. If you are, maybe some of the more experienced keepers in here could chime in. But from what I understand, him hanging out there to eat should not be an issue, esp if it's really only when he's eating.

Now if he's up there hanging out at that same spot all day, that may be a different story.
He's there only when eating and occasionally here and there for some short while too, but not for long, he still prefers his basking spot. I use T5HO from Arcadia, i believe that's 6% one.

He's there only when eating and occasionally here and there for some short while too, but not for long, he still prefers his basking spot. I use T5HO from Arcadia, i believe that's 6% one.
Yeah I'd see what experienced keepers say, but from my understanding that is totally fine. My breeder flat out told me that they've never experienced UVB burns even from young chams climbing on top of the enclosure. I had messaged them regarding that about my little guy climbing on top.

Just move the uvb temporarily while he is eating in the morning.

Well I am glad he figured out how to eat from it. He will be fine climbing up on the feeder to eat from it. Now if he decides that is a good place to bask then you will want to move the uvb fixture so it is on directly over the feeder run. But if he is just up there eating and climbs back down he is fine. It is prolonged HIGH UVI exposure we want to avoid.

I have never seen a UV burn from a T5HO fixture only from Mercury vapor bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom