Traveling, how long between feedings?

dlaunde

Established Member
Hey all,

I am spending the next five weeks at an internship. The good thing is, while I am staying on site at a hotel due to having to be on call, I am only an hour from my house so I can stop home comfortably at least once a week to do cleanings, refilling the mister, etc.

In the meantime my GF is staying at my place the entire time to make sure nothing major happens (mister breaks, light burns out, etc). I have a tote full of Dubia roaches and a tupperware full of Superworms, but ideally if she doesn't need to mess with those, she'd rather not.

The chameleon is a male panther, about a year old. Last weight was 130g and he normally eats about 4-8 roaches/superworms every other day (with proper dustings). I fed him yesterday before I left and he ate 4 roaches and 8 superworms (kept feeding him until he absolutely wouldn't eat anymore).

Is it humane/comfortable for him to go up to a week between feedings? If not, I can convince my GF to put a few superworms in his feeding dish at least once in the middle of the week (but she most likely wouldn't dust them).

Thanks!

That is so sweet of her to watch your cham. Get her some nursing gloves and chopsticks :). You can buy them at the dollar tree or a local asian market.

It is easier to handle worms like that. It was very hard for me at first, but now I am able to grab worms with my bare hands. Took a few weeks though, and it's harder with long nails.

Sorry I am not sure about the feedings question.

You can just portion things out into deli cups so she can just open the lid and dump them into a feeder cup in the cage. I have gone 2-3 days without feeding, but made sure I stuffed them before then left a few in a feeder cup with veggies and fruits cut up. then stuffed them when i came back. I have 2 veiled chams though

when I go out of town, Im in a similar predicament. my chameleon/dogsitters don't want to handle the bugs so I just tell them to feed them supers and put them in a cup with tongs. Theoretically he could go a few days without food, but its not something I would want to test for long stretches at a time.

That is so sweet of her to watch your cham. Get her some nursing gloves and chopsticks :). You can buy them at the dollar tree or a local asian market.

It is easier to handle worms like that. It was very hard for me at first, but now I am able to grab worms with my bare hands. Took a few weeks though, and it's harder with long nails.

Sorry I am not sure about the feedings question.
i just grab them close to the head, sort of like a snake so they cant bite me or swing their head around too much. i was the same with large crickets

Thanks everyone. She agreed it's no big deal to handle the Supers so I wrote up a feeding guide. Just going to have her feed 4-5 supers (properly dusted) every Wednesday and Saturday and then I'll fatten him up every Sunday or Monday with Dubias when I can stop home.

I think you have it backwards. Dubias are better protein and much better feeders than Super worms. The super worms should be the "fattening him up" treat.

I think you have it backwards. Dubias are better protein and much better feeders than Super worms. The super worms should be the "fattening him up" treat.

Yea, poor choice of words. I more meant when I am home is when he'll get as many Dubia's as he feels like eating.

Back
Top Bottom