Transporting to Vet

MsCham

Hello, I have my boy going in for an exam (he's showing signs of MBD and hasn't been eating to get the vitamins, he has proper lighting etc...) I'm concerned. Thus I have him in for this Thursday. It will include a fecal and a full exam at a Vet which I have heard great things about from the reptile community in my area (though none of them have chameleons... so we shall see what I think). But what I'm wondering is about the ways I can reduce the stress on him during transportation. I've made a little tote-thing that has a fake plant in it, and that will be easy enough for me to carry, and it to be secured in the car via seat-belt. It has partial ventilation (top) and the rest is plastic.

But for HIM, I'm wondering if a blanket would be good to cover the sight of me while driving, any other animals that might be in the vet clinic while I'm waiting... but as the blanket would be laying on the top, I'm worried about ventilation... and I'm just generally very worried!! It's the first time he will be leaving this house since I brought him home. Is it easier to just wear some rough clothing and rope and have him out on my shoulder? If I transport him via tote, should I let him out and climb around if, of course, there are no threats (like other animals) around?

Jannb I'm calling out for you! Where are the experts on this? :p

I'm no expert, but this question has emerged from time to time, JannB suggests to use a box that is suitable to fit in your car, and I assume be able to be buckled in. Also, another member mentioned using a cat carrier with perches inside. He said his vet recommended this to him personally. Good lucky! I hope your boy does alright at the vets.

A ventilated covered container with a branch perch sounds appropriate. Do not walk in a clinic with an animal on your shoulder. You never know what is going to be on the inside of a vet clinic or if the other people will be accepting of a reptile. The cat container or your home made tote sound fine. Make sure you take in pictures of your setup along with complete list of supplements, temperatures, humidity, lighting, ect. The appointment should cover husbandry and how to avoid the problem in the future.

Hi,

We used an exoterra plastic box: one of these: http://exo-terra.com/en/products/faunarium.php
To reduce stress You can put this plastic box into a cardboard box so that bottom and 3 sides are covered and top is ventillated.

You could put some branches or fake plants in the box for him to grab. If it is cold outside you can use a bottle of warm water to keep the temperature up inside the box. Better to have it since you might have to wait a lot.

And one more thing: its much better if you go with someone. You will not be distracted from driving by watching your animal ;)

Good luck!

Hello, I have my boy going in for an exam (he's showing signs of MBD and hasn't been eating to get the vitamins, he has proper lighting etc...) I'm concerned. Thus I have him in for this Thursday. It will include a fecal and a full exam at a Vet which I have heard great things about from the reptile community in my area (though none of them have chameleons... so we shall see what I think). But what I'm wondering is about the ways I can reduce the stress on him during transportation. I've made a little tote-thing that has a fake plant in it, and that will be easy enough for me to carry, and it to be secured in the car via seat-belt. It has partial ventilation (top) and the rest is plastic.

But for HIM, I'm wondering if a blanket would be good to cover the sight of me while driving, any other animals that might be in the vet clinic while I'm waiting... but as the blanket would be laying on the top, I'm worried about ventilation... and I'm just generally very worried!! It's the first time he will be leaving this house since I brought him home. Is it easier to just wear some rough clothing and rope and have him out on my shoulder? If I transport him via tote, should I let him out and climb around if, of course, there are no threats (like other animals) around?

Jannb I'm calling out for you! Where are the experts on this? :p

I use little plastic totes (much smaller than a shoe box) with holes drilled on all sides. I have them deep enough so I can scrape them off my hand when I or the vet have to put them back in. I don't use a branch for a couple of reasons. Firstly, I want to be able to get them out of the box quickly and don't want to spend a lot of time getting them out without hurting them. Secondly, I am generally taking in sick animals so don't want to deal with disinfecting a branch that is glued to a box.

I use paper towels or a towel on the bottom. I will twist up some paper towels into a rope so they have something to grab.

You can also use a brown paper lunch bag stapled shut. Make sure they have a twisted paper towel rope to grab.

Whenever I move them, I am very careful to keep them level so they don't get jostled which will stress them.

I put the box (or boxes) inside a dark bag or cardboard box to keep out all light so they settle right down and don't stress. Just be careful that you don't block off the air.

In the cold weather, I sometimes put a bag of IV fluids in the microwave to warm up and put beside the box.

When I shipped an adult off to another breeder, I used a branch in the inner box.

If you are using something that allows light in, drape a dark towel over it.

We use a larger shoe box, black, with a hinged lid (from my son's size 14 Nikes). I put a low nap kitchen towel in the bottom and a spare fake, bendable branch. Neil grabs onto the branch for stability, then we close the lid. He almost always goes right to sleep until we open it at our destination. With the branch being removable, its easy to take him out for exams.

Our guy has been to the vet five times in the past three months, and this set up has worked perfectly. I buckle the box into the front seat next to me, or my son holds it on his lap.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 339
Back
Top Bottom