translucent piebald chameleon

caroline?

Avid Member
i went to petco to get a collar for my cousin's puppy last night and i noticed that they are selling very very young translucent piebald veiled chameleons, they have a few there now and their absolutely adorable, their one of my favorite species and ive never seen one in person!
i didn't know petco carried them 🤔 but im pretty sad that they could end up in a not so great home :/
maybe i just start replacing all the care sheets they have for ones that actually have the correct information 🤣

also does anyone have an adult ive only ever seen the babies haha

i went to petco to get a collar for my cousin's puppy last night and i noticed that they are selling very very young translucent piebald veiled chameleons, they have a few there now and their absolutely adorable, their one of my favorite species and ive never seen one in person!
i didn't know petco carried them 🤔 but im pretty sad that they could end up in a not so great home :/
maybe i just start replacing all the care sheets they have for ones that actually have the correct information 🤣

also does anyone have an adult ive only ever seen the babies haha
Any chameleon can end up in a crappy home. Does not matter where they get it from. It is the responsibility of the person buying it to find out the correct care for any animal they get. There are those that are introduced to chams via places like Petco. That never would have thought to have a chameleon if it was not for them carrying them. I was one of those people.

Petco is corporate and will not change what they do. Their employees are paid to sell not give correct info and most of them are ill informed about the animals they sell. This however I have found to be true even in my local mom and pop pet store. The husbandry there is a shit show... And the worst part is the girl thinks she knows all. So it is not universal to big box stores...

Getting chams that are too young is not exclusive to big box stores either. There are a few crappy online sellers that do the same thing.

Any chameleon can end up in a crappy home. Does not matter where they get it from. It is the responsibility of the person buying it to find out the correct care for any animal they get. There are those that are introduced to chams via places like Petco. That never would have thought to have a chameleon if it was not for them carrying them. I was one of those people.

Petco is corporate and will not change what they do. Their employees are paid to sell not give correct info and most of them are ill informed about the animals they sell. This however I have found to be true even in my local mom and pop pet store. The husbandry there is a shit show... And the worst part is the girl thinks she knows all. So it is not universal to big box stores...

Getting chams that are too young is not exclusive to big box stores either. There are a few crappy online sellers that do the same thing.
yeah, it's terrible. i just wish people were more educated about these amazing animals, the care given by most of these shops are setting the chameleons up for disaster 😭

yeah, it's terrible. i just wish people were more educated about these amazing animals, the care given by most of these shops are setting the chameleons up for disaster 😭
Your newer and you take it all to heart still. It is what it is... And can be said about any animal. Most reptiles sold are not in the correct environments in most stores.
Look at people that get a puppy off craigslist... They don't get it shots or deworm it. They just think they are good.
Abuse of animals comes in all forms. We can't fix everything.
I am sure you did not feel confident or educated when your cham suddenly had tons of babies? 95% of the people getting into the hobby are not educated properly. Too many sources for incorrect husbandry out there. Too many Youtubers that are all about their fame and passing on incorrect info. Too many people that sell chams and don't give people the correct info.

The truth is it is not their job to fully educate someone. It is the persons job to make sure they are properly caring for the life they have chosen to care for.

You do for yours and you do your best to pass on correct info to others. But getting caught up in the crap of it all does nothing but upset you.

Your newer and you take it all to heart still. It is what it is... And can be said about any animal. Most reptiles sold are not in the correct environments in most stores.
Look at people that get a puppy off craigslist... They don't get it shots or deworm it. They just think they are good.
Abuse of animals comes in all forms. We can't fix everything.
I am sure you did not feel confident or educated when your cham suddenly had tons of babies? 95% of the people getting into the hobby are not educated properly. Too many sources for incorrect husbandry out there. Too many Youtubers that are all about their fame and passing on incorrect info. Too many people that sell chams and don't give people the correct info.

The truth is it is not their job to fully educate someone. It is the persons job to make sure they are properly caring for the life they have chosen to care for.

You do for yours and you do your best to pass on correct info to others. But getting caught up in the crap of it all does nothing but upset you.
i wish i didn't let it get to me so much, i just hate seeing animals in that condition. Although i wish i could do something i also wish it didn't hurt me so much. i know that pretty much everyone goes into chameleon keeping with little to no idea how to care for them and i was one of those people too, i know it's not their job to fully educate people about the care. i don't even know anymore, it just gets to me too much
im sorry i always post stuff like this guys :(

i wish i didn't let it get to me so much, i just hate seeing animals in that condition. Although i wish i could do something i also wish it didn't hurt me so much. i know that pretty much everyone goes into chameleon keeping with little to no idea how to care for them and i was one of those people too, i know it's not their job to fully educate people about the care. i don't even know anymore, it just gets to me too much
im sorry i always post stuff like this guys :(
Avoid the harsh... Avoid looking at craigslist ads. Don't go into petco and walk by the reptiles... I have learned to do this. I literally will not go to Petco. The last time I was there I brought Bentley home. It pulls on everyone's heart strings hun. I have learned though that unless I can provide a home to an animal I see that not looking is best.
You will see enough sad crap within the forum with threads... No need to add to that with other situations you can not do anything about. That is my how to keep your sanity 2 cents.

Avoid the harsh... Avoid looking at craigslist ads. Don't go into petco and walk by the reptiles... I have learned to do this. I literally will not go to Petco. The last time I was there I brought Bentley home. It pulls on everyone's heart strings hun. I have learned though that unless I can provide a home to an animal I see that not looking is best.
You will see enough sad crap within the forum with threads... No need to add to that with other situations you can not do anything about. That is my how to keep your sanity 2 cents.
thank you :/ im probably gonna avoid the pet stores for a while and stop looking on craigslist like you said, i'll send my mom to go buy dog food haha

Back
Top Bottom