Trading Chameleons

I love my Tamatave, He doesn’t mind being handled and will eat for my hand. Unfortunately though his colors don’t ever really change. He stays Red and Teal. Occasionally he will turn orange or black in some areas of his body. I’m really looking for a Colorful Ambilobe, or a Nosy Faly Panther. Is it wrong to trade chameleons? If not how would I go about doing that.

Attachments

• 2EF63CE5-0669-463F-9E67-48E2FA4D06B5.jpeg
    2EF63CE5-0669-463F-9E67-48E2FA4D06B5.jpeg
    129.3 KB · Views: 163
He’s a good looking guy! His colors remind me of a Nosy Faly with that blue and red. How long have you had him?

My panthers dont really change colors much unless they are angry, and thats not really something they should be often. I think if you’re expecting a daily light show you’re going to be disappointed no matter what.

I can’t imagine trading a pet I’ve cared for. I will trade you my husband, though, with all the stuff necessary to keep him!

He’s a good looking guy! His colors remind me of a Nosy Faly with that blue and red. How long have you had him?

My panthers dont really change colors much unless they are angry, and thats not really something they should be often. I think if you’re expecting a daily light show you’re going to be disappointed no matter what.

I can’t imagine trading a pet I’ve cared for. I will trade you my husband, though, with all the stuff necessary to keep him!
I know I’m having a real inner battle right now over it. I do love him and I brought him outside several times, I hand feed him every day and he likes to come out of his cage. But I wanted a chameleon for the visual appeal, and it’s a 7 year commitment. Thus far I’ve spent about 1600.00 for the husbandry. I just want to make sure if I’m gonna do this for the next seven years that it’s the exact chameleon that I want.

Are you in MD? (Judging by the 410 in name)

I am, and just saw your post about finding hornworms and silkworms (I sell both).
What are your prices for the worms good sir? I’m definitely interested. Are you interested in trading? Do you have a Ambilobe or Nosy Faly Panther?

They are ridiculously priced at Petco/Petsmart. You get four of them for 10.00. I would be willing to pay $.75-1.00 each.

Are you in Maryland? Petco and stores are very overpriced. My prices are much less, but if not local shipping is usually around $8.

Wish I could take on another cham but I am cham’d out! He sounds like a sweet guy. I’d never trade my babies, though.

Are you in Maryland? Petco and stores are very overpriced. My prices are much less, but if not local shipping is usually around $8.

Wish I could take on another cham but I am cham’d out! He sounds like a sweet guy. I’d never trade my babies, though.
8.00 for how many? If your not comfortable discussing pricing on this thread I can text or email

OP, It's cool. People are just very passionate and attached to their chams here(which is great, no offense intended). Once in a while we get a similar post, of someone needing to let go of a cham or whatever and people tend to react this way.

IMO there's not much wrong with it, I had to part ways with a few of my chameleons. I gave them away for next to nothing because I just wanted good keepers to have them. Their well being was the most important to me. I did feel bad about it too, but chameleons really don't care who their owner is. As long as they are being taken care of well, you could be a rock. So if you want to trade with someone I see no problem, given that all husbandry requirements are met... you're not going to cause the animal any emotional distress from it.

I would never give up cats, dog, pig, bird, even some reptiles like tegus, etc(anything that could form a bond with people). Not that I would want to give up my chameleons, but I could live with if I had to given a good home.

All this said, I think your tamatave looks awesome, that's a more unique locale. Ambilobe are beautiful, but after you see them a million times by every other keeper, they get a little old.

Sorry, the "Rightly so!" was tongue in cheek but the winking emoji didn't show up.

I still would never change any of mine though.

So are you interested in the husband trade, or no? :p

I understand you just got him and are disappointed and probably not super attached yet. I do think he is a gorgeous cham and sounds like he has a great personality. Personally, I am very attached to every pet but I can understand the need and desire.

Also, consider that your guys colors may change over time. He wont be an Ambi rainbow but they may change. One of mine went from almost completely teal to completely red in a few sheds. You may trade him and end up with a colorful chameleon that has an awful personality and hates to be handled. I would give it some time as he is so new to you it may just be temporary buyers remorse. He really is a beautiful, unique looking guy!

I feel like a monster.
I dont think you have anything to feel bad for. You're being honest in your intentions, which is more than you can say for most. You're trying to do the responsible thing and think long term. I know that chams dont form bonds so it doesnt matter for them, but humans form bonds. If you dont end up forming a bond with this cham, how can you force yourself to care enough to take care of it every day, right? Kind of like a mama seal who doesnt recognize the baby as her own... she stops caring for it and the baby eventually dies. Weird comparison? Maybe :ROFLMAO:
What I'm trying to say is I get where you're coming from. With that being said, James is right that your tamatave is beautifully unique. You dont see it often and that alone makes it beautiful. Ambiboles are everywhere and eventually you might realize that you wanted something more special. Plus, the fact that your cham has a calm demeanor is so important! I would rather have a poop stain cham than a rainbow cham if it meant it didnt mind being handled and was cool coming out more often lol. Maybe give it a little time and see if you do realize that you really appreciate the colors your boy has to show you before you jump the gun.

I dont think you have anything to feel bad for. You're being honest in your intentions, which is more than you can say for most. You're trying to do the responsible thing and think long term. I know that chams dont form bonds so it doesnt matter for them, but humans form bonds. If you dont end up forming a bond with this cham, how can you force yourself to care enough to take care of it every day, right? Kind of like a mama seal who doesnt recognize the baby as her own... she stops caring for it and the baby eventually dies. Weird comparison? Maybe :ROFLMAO:
What I'm trying to say is I get where you're coming from. With that being said, James is right that your tamatave is beautifully unique. You dont see it often and that alone makes it beautiful. Ambiboles are everywhere and eventually you might realize that you wanted something more special. Plus, the fact that your cham has a calm demeanor is so important! I would rather have a poop stain cham than a rainbow cham if it meant it didnt mind being handled and was cool coming out more often lol. Maybe give it a little time and see if you do realize that you really appreciate the colors your boy has to show you before you jump the gun.

My thought on it exactly 100%

Except for the poop stain friendly cham vs nice looking one. I like chams for their unique look and how they eat and climb around. Personally, I could care less if i ever hold mine. It's cool at times, but isn't my reason for keeping one. I also wouldn't have a Parsons chameleon if I wanted one to handle, at best they don't like you, but tolerate. At worst you have a giant angry chameleon that could do some damage lmao.

Just my opinion on it though!

Back
Top Bottom