Took Veiled chameleon (Eve) to the vet

Gagebarney

Well for the most art eve is okay she is not eggbound she is in the early stages of MBD she is still strong enough for me to start giving her the right supplements and didnt need any calcium shots at the vet. The vet said there is a good chance of her recovering and having no damage. I am going to the pet store now to get new lights and more supplements.

Well that sounds like good news to me. Did he say anything about Her have by eggs?

For future reference, when you start a thread, continue posting in that thread if it's about the same thing. It's hard to follow you when you start making new threads :)

What supplements are you going to get? Did the vet discuss correcting the imbalance of nutrients by giving a liquid calcium for a while in addition to the regular supplementing recommended? Did she/he discuss the importance of gutloading/feeding your insects properly, providing good temperatures to aid in digestion thus nutrient absorption and the importance of exposure to the UVB as well as the importance of a balance of calcium, phosphorous, D3 and vitamin A in bone health?

Okay next time i post i will under the same thread:D She said that there were no eggs in there. I bought zoo meds calcium with no D3 and i have repcals calcium with D3. The vet told me to alternate everyday between the regular calcium and D3 for two weeks and then bring her back in for a check up and we will see where to go from there.She also taught me a lot about gut loading my insects and having the right lights for basking and UV. I got zoo meds 100 W basking lamp and Zoo meds Reptisun 5.0 UVB light. Are those good lamps to use?

I'm not sure about the alternating every day. I'm no vet, but even with a calcium deficiency isn't that still too much D3?

The reptisun is good. Just make sure that you have the heat lamp in the right distance from the basking spot to avoid overheating and burning--you may not need that high a wattage unless your house is freezing like mine.

I have the basking light about 6 inches away and it is 84 degrees where she is sitting. i have a question on gutloading crickets do you have to chop up the fruits/veggies really fine for the crickets to eat?

should i give her D3 every 3 days? the vet said it was a hard call to give it to her every other day or not. What you recommend.

Usually what's done when a chameleon has MBD is that you give it some liquid calcium sandoz or gluconate every day because it's more easily absorbed than the powders. This helps correct the imbalance along with the exposure to the UVB...but usually continue the regular supplementing with a phosphorous - free calcium powder at most feedings, a phosphorous - free calcium D3 powder twice a month and a vitamin powder with a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A twice a month and when the calcium is back in balance drop the liquid calcium.

I gutload the insects with a wide assortment of greens such as collards, escarole, endive, dandelion greens, kale, etc and veggies such as carrots, sweet red pepper, squash, zucchini, sweet potato, etc.

Appropriate temperatures as I said before to aid in proper digestion and thus indirectly in the nutrient absorption.

Too much D3 from supplements can build up in the system and push the chameleon towards MBD. An imbalance in the vitamin A and D3 can also led to problems....and even an imbalance in the phosphorous and calcium isn't good. That's why we recommend the supplementing and feeding / gutloading the insects, etc that we do.

Hope that helps!

I came home from school the other day and i went to spray her and i noticed two pebble like things at the bottom of her cage i got them out ad it was her poop! It was dry and hard. i came home today and i found two more any ideas on what is happening.

I'm not sure about the alternating every day. I'm no vet, but even with a calcium deficiency isn't that still too much D3?

I don't know the amount of D3 in reptile calcium, but I did discuss overdosing with Vitamin D with my endocrinologist yesterday. She told me that it was REALLY hard, next to impossible, to overdose with (human) calcium pills that have vitamin D added. She was talking about human supplements, which are not very well regulated at best. Reptile supplements would be regulated even less.

Just

Back
Top Bottom