Too Wet Cage, plant problem?

Cage help
I made a inside the cage drainage setup to collect water but I still think its too wet and my Lynx getting repertory problems. I have one Pothos plant and it makes most of the water mess, should I break up the plant into smaller parts and laying in each corner or just do the drainage system with holes on the bottom of cage like everyone else does???

I also use shower curtain on the sides on my cage to keep humidity in and from damaging my walls, is that bad, maybe she not getting enough air flow~

Pictures of layers of the current drainage.

Respiratory issues can have more than humidity as a cause. What humidity levels do you have? What are your basking and ambient temperatures? Low temperatures can be a factor as can poor air circulation. You may need to remove the plastic from one side of your cage if it is too high. Drafts can be another problem if your cage is too close to a vent, fan or window.
It might be easier to nail down the problem if you filled out the how to ask for help form?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ Cut and paste and fill out your answers.

Respiratory issues can have more than humidity as a cause. What humidity levels do you have? What are your basking and ambient temperatures? Low temperatures can be a factor as can poor air circulation. You may need to remove the plastic from one side of your cage if it is too high. Drafts can be another problem if your cage is too close to a vent, fan or window.
It might be easier to nail down the problem if you filled out the how to ask for help form?
https://www.chameleonforums.com/threads/how-to-ask-for-help.66/ Cut and paste and fill out your answers.

But the cage idea good, i wanted more cage help.

I don't see a problem with your cage setup except I think you could get better lighting but that isn't what you are asking.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Screen cage, med size Everything is Zoo Med
  • Lighting - Zoo med double bulb container, UVB and Heat, its on for 12 hrs 7a to 7p
  • Temperature - 78 is the normal temp, homemade drainage in cage, house temp is between 70s-65 at night
  • Humidity - I spray 2-3 times a day, have DIY dripper, cover sides of cage
  • Plants - Live Pothos
  • Placement - dresser next to cage to block top wall vent, no fan, neighborhood quiet but I live in a one way street so I do get some cars, I'm on the second floor.
  • Location - Florida, cage inside, we are having a cold front this week and pass week, will go away soon.

The main thing I think your enclosure is missing is a sturdy branch (or preferably a couple) running horizontally from the left to the right side of the viv. You've got the plant cover on lock, but your chameleon would thank you for providing more options for lateral movement

Top part of cage:
Red basking spot, than the yellow are some climbing branches, and the green a big branch going downwards that goes all the levels of the cage (top to bottom, even floor)

Last edited:
Top part of cage:
Red basking spot, than the yellow are some climbing branches, and the green a big branch going downwards that goes all the levels of the cage (top to bottom, even floor)

Sure, but those "branches" are very flimsy and have a tiny diameter. Chameleons do better with thicker, wood branches which also help to keep their nails from getting too long/sharp. The vines you have won't support a chameleon's weight well and will sag when walked upon. You want something that will remain rigid when walked upon

The main thing I think your enclosure is missing is a sturdy branch (or preferably a couple) running horizontally from the left to the right side of the viv. You've got the plant cover on lock, but your chameleon would thank you for providing more options for lateral movement

I find that all my many leafs hold a lot of water, great for her to drink, but in the long run it all drops to the bottoms if she doesn't get to it. Do you think if i take out some leafs that could help with drainage???

For example: this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I find that, without fail, all my chameleons prefer hard wood to small fake vines. It's also good to have branches with varying diameters to stretch out their hands and feet

Attachments

• IMG_9317.JPG
    IMG_9317.JPG
    428.9 KB · Views: 110
I find that all my many leafs hold a lot of water, great for her to drink, but in the long run it all drops to the bottoms if she doesn't get to it. Do you think if i take out some leafs that could help with drainage???

For drainage, I think you best solution would be to drill holes!

For example: this is the kind of thing I'm talking about. I find that, without fail, all my chameleons prefer hard wood to small fake vines. It's also good to have branches with varying diameters to stretch out their hands and feet
Alright I will put some in. I use wire to put up my branches I just feel the wood dowel will be harder to put down through the screen

Alright I will put some in. I use wire to put up my branches I just feel the wood dowel will be harder to put down through the screen

It doesn't have to be difficult! Garden wire works fine to secure branches. What I prefer to use is either thumb tacs or eyelet screws to really get the branches secure. Recently some people have been talking about gluing strong magnets to the ends of the branches and then attaching another magnet from the outside. I haven't tried the magnet method personally, but it seems to be a hit

This picture makes me feel like I don’t have enough branches in my cage ..... lol tomorrow im going add way more hardwood as well.

This picture makes me feel like I don’t have enough branches in my cage ..... lol tomorrow im going add way more hardwood as well.

You can never have enough branches! :D I find myself walking through the world eyeing every branch I see looking for cool and functional ones. I work on campus at a big university and just last week I found a branch I loved and carried it around with me across campus and into my lab because I needed to have it and don't mind looking like a crazy person for the sake of my chams

You can never have enough branches! :D I find myself walking through the world eyeing every branch I see looking for cool and functional ones. I work on campus at a big university and just last week I found a branch I loved and carried it around with me across campus and into my lab because I needed to have it and don't mind looking like a crazy person for the sake of my chams
I thought I was the only person walking around eyeing every tree as a potential source of branches.

Back
Top Bottom