Too shy to eat?

chino

Hi!

I just rescued a Ambanja from someone who is moving and can’t take their chameleon with them. He seems healthy and I estimate his at least 1 to 2 years old.

So, it’s been 2 days since I got him and Jorah (that’s what I’ve named him) has only eaten a Superworm on the first night I got him, despite I offered some crixs, dubias, hornworms and even some Phoenix worms.

On the second night, he ate a dubia, medium size. (Same buffet was offered like before)

Tonight he took in one big hornworm.( You guessed it, I offered him everything I have)

This is the first time I take in a full grown chameleon, and I’m not sure if this is typical behavior or not.

Cup feeding, hand feeding, free roaming, he just seems like he does not trust me giving him food.
Do you guys think he needs to get more time to settle in before he starts to ?

Here some pics of the handsome guy.

24C4FFB5-38E1-4978-B7B7-E2E6C56A682B.jpeg 51B41502-186A-4759-AA40-C56C468E0527.jpeg A40F7C3E-5FEE-4442-8C2B-8E0B5D8D1356.jpeg

He looks healthy and may just be settling into his new surroundings.
What's the temperature in he basking area?

The temps are 92F at the basking, ambient is around 85F, at night time the ambient temp drops to 72F cause we turn on the AC, when we go to bed we turn off the AC and crank open the windows, we live in Puerto Rico, so humidity at night is usually around 80% and temperatures are in the 70'sF

Just checking to see if it was warm enough for him to digest the food. It is! If he doesn't eat a bit more or poop in the next few days post again.

Are you hovering over him when he eats? I would just give him space. Many chameleons will not eat while being watched, especially if they are unfamiliar with you. With new chams, I find it best to leave the insects in the enclosure and then walk away.

Are you hovering over him when he eats? I would just give him space. Many chameleons will not eat while being watched, especially if they are unfamiliar with you. With new chams, I find it best to leave the insects in the enclosure and then walk away.

Nope, the only time I've been there is when I tried to hand feed him, but at all the other times I've left the room and come back like 30mins later. All bugs were accounted for. The only times he has eaten I've been close by, not up close and personal, but a few feet away from him. I always try to give them space, knowing they are territorial species.

Nope, the only time I've been there is when I tried to hand feed him, but at all the other times I've left the room and come back like 30mins later. All bugs were accounted for. The only times he has eaten I've been close by, not up close and personal, but a few feet away from him. I always try to give them space, knowing they are territorial species.

Right on! In that case, he will probable settle into a more normal routine fairly shortly. This is a pretty common situation (y)

Back
Top Bottom