Too much?

JapSolum

So today I added a weeping fig to my cage. which seemed perfect size at first, but now that it's in there I'm wondering if it might be too much? worried about it reducing some of the ventilation and air flow. though I'd think the oxygen the plant creates would probably counter-act that. I was previously using a 60watt blue day light for basking but now added a 60watt grow light to help the ficus. which understandably made his basking spot jump up to 95. so I'm under the impression the blue light is for heat and nothing else. so if I use the grow light and keep the blue off to reduce the heat he should be fine right?
20180429_142240.jpg 20180429_142256.jpg 20180429_142305.jpg 20180429_142321.jpg

Well, the impression that plants only produce oxygen is not entirely true. During the night, green plants produce just as much carbon dioxide as they did oxygen because of plant respiration. I think it looks good. Just watch and see how your chameleon deals with it and go from there. 95 is just too hot for a chameleon. The highest you want the basking light to be is probably 85, at most.

Well, the impression that plants only produce oxygen is not entirely true. During the night, green plants produce just as much carbon dioxide as they did oxygen because of plant respiration. I think it looks good. Just watch and see how your chameleon deals with it and go from there. 95 is just too hot for a chameleon. The highest you want the basking light to be is probably 85, at most.
yeah I immediately turned the blue off when I saw it that high and the temp has dropped a lot. mainly asking if there is any benefit to the blue besides the heat it provides. since obviously the grow light is providing plenty of heat on own.

I don't know of any benefits, but I don't know a whole lot about growth lights anyway. I just don't think they have an effect on chameleons

yeah turned the blue basking light off, and opened one of the walls. temps regulated and humidity is holding perfect. and he loves climbing around exploring his new tree... definitely turned out how I was hoping.for

that's interesting, I honestly had no idea and had to go look it up. I swear my elementary school science teacher told me they breathe in co2 and out o2... but glad the humidity went up enough I could open up a second side so he should do better with ventilation now too, on top of everything else. thanks for the lesson that's good to know

Back
Top Bottom