Too much uvb???

jeff138

Is there such a thing as to much uvb for your cham? My male chams cage is 18x18x36 and seems kinda dark I have one 5.0 uvb reptisun tube bulb and a 50watt uva would adding a 2nd 5.0 uvb be bad for my cham???

I wouldn't get two uvb bulbs, one is fine. If you're worried about he uvb levels buy a uvb meter from one of our sponsors. I think pangea reptiles sells some??

Not worried about levels just wanted to add some extra light,I have a extra UVB light wasn't sure if it can harm the Cham with to much UVB

Get a plant light, 6200k daylight bulb and that will provide enough light and brighten up the cage.

UVB radiation is not relative to visible light intensity. A Uvb meter will show you your tube/bulbs output. These are recommended to be changed every 6-12 months as UVB leels diminish over time.
If you would like the cage brighter, consider using a regular household flourescent (virtually no heat output) :)

I use another 20 watt in a dome besides the basking bulb and uvb tube I have. I have the UVB towards the back of the cage, my basking on the right and 20 watt on the left. It really brightens up the cage just haveing that and sometimes he will even bask under that. It doesn't heat the cage up too bad much by adding it as it is very low wattage.

Yes, there is most definitely such a thing as too much UV exposure. Would using two bulbs instead of one lead to excessive UV exposure? Based on measurments folks have gotten from these bulbs, these bulbs through screen, etc. I doubt it, but I don't think the animal would necessarily benefit either, making the use of two bulbs essentially a waste of money for you ;) Agreed with the above though: using full spectrum, grow bulbs, or something similar to provide more light is a very good idea IMHO. Chameleon cages are usually woefully underlit IME, leading to unhealthy or dead plants due to a lack of light. I'd keep the one UV bulb and add one or more full specturm-ish bulbs for additional light, and for the sake of the plants.

cj

Just out of curiosity, we've got all these other florescent bulbs of various brands and output levels that are designed FOR reptiles, that are deemed to be be too questionably dangerous to chameleon eyes, doesn't it worry anybody besides me all the random house incandescent & florescent bulbs we're using on their cages? I've been told before I'm a paranoid chammy-mommy, lol, so maybe thats it. And ive tried reading detailed links about the while uv output & studies, but I really can't seem to wrap my brain around the whole light rays concepts, never have unfortunatley. So i admit i dont understand light period. Anyways just the idea that another brand's reptile 5.0 bulb can be "off" enough to eff up their eyes, but any old random household "plant grow" bulb would be just fine seems strange to me...?

NOn reptile (UVB emitting) aka ordinary bulbs, flourescents etc all output a certain variable level of uva, which while also required by reptiles, is probably so little uva that no harm is likely. (nothing beats sunshine)
On the other, the plethora of so called 'reptile lights' vary so much, I wouldnt be surprised if many may output dangerous levels of not only uvb, but uva and possibly some, uvc wavelengths.
UVB wavelengths, we know, are required for the reptile but reptiles of different kinds have differnt uvb requirements.
UVA is output from most incandescent bulbs and for the most part, in harmless levels.
UVC wavelengths, most of which are filtered by our atmosphere, are the dangerous type which case cancers in all things.
Any light which outputs UVC is dangerous to us and our reptiles.
Unfortunately as a process of manufacture, some lights do output minute levels of uvc wavelengths. Certainly any that are known to should be avoided.
As to weather many household bulbs are in anyway dangerous to reptiles, I suppose if your lizard does have eye issues, its worth investigating if your lighting might simply be too bright (glare) or if there is something more to it, but Im sure most lighting types
commonly manufactured for household use would have to safe for us and are therefore more than likely safe for the animals too.
Yes you fret too much! Take a valium Mel :p :)

Okay. And okay. Lol.
(but the chameleons are supposed to BE my Valium! Relax me. Lol. Look at the pretty colours and plants... Ahhh....hahaha!! )

LOL that reminds me of guys I see every weekend at the local golf course, enjoying a 'relaxing' game. From the way they throw a 'John Mcenroe' dummy spit, hurling their clubs and so on, I can't imagine its too relaxing! :D

Hahaha. Well I'll hit the drugs ASAP if I ever get the feeling I'm gonna start throwing things, kay? Or at least some vodka. ;)

Back
Top Bottom