Too much UV?

joefarah

I have been reading about over-exposure to UV and its potentially harmful side-effects.

Has anyone here had a health problem with a Cham that they could definatively say was caused by over-exposure to UV?

We all have sad stories about people's chams who didn't receive enough UV and had visable problems as a result, but what about in the other direction?

Any first-hand documentation?

Thanks!

Joe

Can check here:

http://www.uvguide.co.uk/

I've also read that the light produced by the 10.0 is different that the other lights and can have psychological effects. But of course thats hard to prove. I originally bought a 10.0 also but yanked it out for a 5.0 after being told not too.

i had a 10 on for a week or two thinking it was better but it was not. my cham hid from the light and was brown and his eyes were all squinty and they such. it was notcable really fast for me

Mr Weldon has documented such case.
I've seen one dead chameleon that has sunburns and blisters all over from the over exposure of a bad UVB lamp.

I've had an exo-terra 10.0 uvb light on two veileds, 3 foot tube, spanning across two 38 gallon reptariums, haven't had a problem, my chams look good. healthy eaters, fast growers.

I know for sure you can over expose a cham through too much UVB output and thats why they recommend 5.0's but Do you mean over exposure as in too much output or exposure in too many hours per day.

UVB Burn..........

I tried the Reptisun and Mystic brand compact UV lights when they first came out. I had a cham get a bad burn on it's back. I had a couple that started to close their eyes during the day. After seeing this I threw them all out. This was before I joined this forum group. It was very comforting for me to hear that other keepers were having problems later on. I used to wonder if I was paranoid about thinking those lights were responsible for the symptoms I saw. I figured that if they were on the market they had been adequatedly tested and found to be safe. Right..............

what about for a taller enclosure? i'm most of the way thru constructing a 6 ft tall cage and am still "up in the air" as to what bulbs to get.

I thought the same thing when I built my first 4' tall enclosure.
I went with the 10.0 because I wanted the rays to reach deeper.
I use the 5.0 now exclusively.
The branches and vines they want to be on are generally at the top of the enclosure....5.0 works great!

-Brad

Back
Top Bottom