Tongue

thewise21

Rescued a panther chameleon recently. Brought to vet to insure his mouth defect had no infection and over all health. My vet said he has some metabolic bone or had some bone problems and was likely due to poor supplements either during his development in egg or recent care. She thinks he is not using his tongue because of lack of supplements so having to feed by mouth. Is it possible that this problem is reversible with proper supps, zEither way I am in it for hi and will do whatever I can to give him the life they all deserve!

Its not reversible. if the bone is warped, the aim will forever be off, they can not compensate. On the bright side, you can treat him just like a tree climbing beardy. Most of mine never made it to old age with working tongue, but they have no problem cup feeding or eating caterpillars off branches.

Quite often the use of the tongue can be restored if the MBD is corrected quickly.
Does he ever try to use the tongue? Does he move it in and out of his mouth like he'd like to try but then doesn't?

Please post some photos of his mouth and him from the side so we can see all of him.

Did the vet not give you some liquid calcium to use to help the bones recover more quickly?
Usually that, along with proper supplementing will bring the bones and muscles back to proper strength and then he will be able to shoot the tongue out again.

Proper supplementing should continue after things are strong again but you will be able to drop the liquid calcium.

Proper supplementing...dust the insects just before feeding them to him with a phos free calcium powder lightly at all feedings but one a week. At that one feeding each week, alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A...lightly dusted on the insects.

Make sure you feed/gutload the insects well too.

Hope this helps!

These might help too...
https://www.madcham.de/en/der-zungenschuss/

Last edited:
Do you have any pictures you can post so we can see the actual deformity? MBD is one thing... But if it a lack of usage based on tongue function from not getting the right supplements this can be reversed.

Quite often the use of the tongue can be restored if the MBD is corrected quickly.
Does he ever try to use the tongue? Does he move it in and out of his mouth like he'd like to try but then doesn't?

Please post some photos of his mouth and him from the side so we can see all of him.

Did the vet not give you some liquid calcium to use to help the bones recover more quickly?
Usually that, along with proper supplementing will bring the bones and muscles back to proper strength and then he will be able to shoot the tongue out again.

Proper supplementing should continue after things are strong again but you will be able to drop the liquid calcium.

Proper supplementing...dust the insects just before feeding them to him with a phos free calcium powder lightly at all feedings but one a week. At that one feeding each week, alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with a prEformed source of vitamin A...lightly dusted on the insects.

Make sure you feed/gutload the insects well too.

Hope this helps!

These might help too...
https://www.madcham.de/en/der-zungenschuss/
Yeah in fact he looks at live and starts licking and he licks to drink. Yes she gave me critical care powder which mixes with water to give to him. He was supposedly born with a defect in his mouth. Just rescued him so don’t know too much history but my vet told me she thinks at one time his mouth got infected but don’t see infection now. Also gave me antibiotic shots

Do you have any pictures you can post so we can see the actual deformity? MBD is one thing... But if it a lack of usage based on tongue function from not getting the right supplements this can be reversed.

Attachments

• D6488719-9DC2-44EF-99E1-8BFDBB0E836F.jpeg
    D6488719-9DC2-44EF-99E1-8BFDBB0E836F.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 84
  • 8F00CCC8-5BD8-4946-8EE3-4B3060186E25.jpeg
    8F00CCC8-5BD8-4946-8EE3-4B3060186E25.jpeg
    224.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 7F7C2ECC-44C2-4C73-BE49-C902B9D4B309.jpeg
    7F7C2ECC-44C2-4C73-BE49-C902B9D4B309.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 76
That’s what I thought too. Inside of mouth is beautiful no sings of infection or rot. Vet says probably had defect but small which at some time throughout his life got an infection or rot. Gave antibiotics and critical care food to supplement and feed for now

Ok but no sign of infection at all currently?

What supplements do you have for him?

Will he hand feed from you? I am thinking if he is drinking he may hand feed. Rather then doing the carnivore care. Which can be extremely stressful for them.

You said..."Yeah in fact he looks at live and starts licking and he licks to drink"...have to agree with it sounding npmire like an infection than MBD that is causing the issue.

You said..."Yes she gave me critical care powder which mixes with water to give to him"...here's an alternative to carnivore care...
https://www.adcham.com/html/husbandry/bug-juice.html

You said..."He was supposedly born with a defect in his mouth. Just rescued him so don’t know too much history but my vet told me she thinks at one time his mouth got infected but don’t see infection now. Also gave me antibiotic shots" ...what antibiotic?

Ok but no sign of infection at all currently?

What supplements do you have for him?

Will he hand feed from you? I am thinking if he is drinking he may hand feed. Rather then doing the carnivore care. Which can be extremely stressful for them.

Just rescued him and am trying every way to feed him but no success yet. I dropped back till every other day to try and reduce some stress but I don’t know a whole lot of his eating habits or vitamins prior to me. Took him on to help someone out and him. He is pretty chill and believe me wish he would eat normally. Move him outside every chance I get especially after feedings and he seem to enjoy outdoors. Colors are starting to show a little more. Vet visits 20 minutes each day of offering by hand. Leave insects in shooting gallery and cup every other day. Lights are straight temps are perfect humidity all good. Believe me oh chewy has it all. Just wish I had him from beginning not 2 yrs in some things may not be reversible but damn it he will enjoy the rest of his life.

Just rescued him and am trying every way to feed him but no success yet. I dropped back till every other day to try and reduce some stress but I don’t know a whole lot of his eating habits or vitamins prior to me. Took him on to help someone out and him. He is pretty chill and believe me wish he would eat normally. Move him outside every chance I get especially after feedings and he seem to enjoy outdoors. Colors are starting to show a little more. Vet visits 20 minutes each day of offering by hand. Leave insects in shooting gallery and cup every other day. Lights are straight temps are perfect humidity all good. Believe me oh chewy has it all. Just wish I had him from beginning not 2 yrs in some things may not be reversible but damn it he will enjoy the rest of his life.
Well if you let us know what city and state you live in we can possibly give you recommendations for a vet with cham experience. Personally the mouth looks very very wrong and nothing like MBD to me. I think I would want a second opinion. If you want to fill out the form below we can double check your husbandry to ensure you received the right info for care.

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:

• Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

• Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

--------------

Please Note:

1. The more details you provide the better and more accurate help you will receive.
  2. Photos can be very helpful.

Back
Top Bottom