Tongue still sticking

AnamCara

Chameleon Enthusiast
Hey cham fam.

Mona has had her tongue get stuck trying to get a feeder twice in the past days. First time stuck was on her monstera leaf -- so bad she had to walk towards it to get it unstuck. The second time was this morning snagging a silkworm off a branch. This happened to her at the beginning of the year and I switched her supplements to Repashy LoD then and it did not happen again until the day before yesterday.

Has anyone else had this happen? I'm attaching my husbandry review.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? 2.5-year-old panther chameleon, in my care since March 2018.
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? rarely. She's not into it.
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? Dubia, silkworms, occasional cricket, small hornworms, BSFL, BSF, Very rare butterworm (hasn't had a butterworm in ages) -- gut load with various veg, occasional fruit, and bug burger and superload.
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Repashy LoD at every feeding unless it's BSFL or just a random treat.
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? Mistking. 5 minutes right before lights on, two 2 minute sessions around 11 am and 3 pm, and a long mist after lights out with a fogger. Yes, I see her drink. Urate is white poop is solid.
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? She poops about 2-3 times a week. Vet visit less than a month ago. clean fecal.
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. This has happened before.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? 2x2x4 dragon strang. Pictures below
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? One t5ho with arcadia 6%, one t5ho 65k linear bulb and one LED plant bulb.
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? Thermometer keeps basking spot between 80-83 -- goes down when the mist comes.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? Digital Hygrometer. Humidity can get to low 30's midday to 45 after mistings. Nighttime humidity is as high as I can get it -- around 60%
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? Yes. Pothos, Dracaena, monstera, variegated pothos, more pothos
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? Located in a chameleon room, low traffic, not by vents or windows. The top of the cage is about a foot above my head.
  • Location - Where are you geographically located? Longmont, Colorado.

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Monas enclosure is on the right.

IMG_20191120_083205_361.jpg

Last edited:
It looks like you have things under control but have a look at her hydration and humidity. It's probably getting a bit dry in your neck of the woods. The night time thing is a bit of a concern maybe a partial plastic drape at night to contain more moisture without totally blocking air flow. More plants?
You might try backing off your supplements a bit. I just mean be sure you are dusting very very lightly. Over supplementation can lead to sluggish bowels and other coordination symptoms.
Just food for thought I don't see anything wrong with what you have going.

It looks like you have things under control but have a look at her hydration and humidity. It's probably getting a bit dry in your neck of the woods. The night time thing is a bit of a concern maybe a partial plastic drape at night to contain more moisture without totally blocking air flow. More plants?
You might try backing off your supplements a bit. I just mean be sure you are dusting very very lightly. Over supplementation can lead to sluggish bowels and other coordination symptoms.
Just food for thought I don't see anything wrong with what you have going.

I will get a second humidifier for the room. Thanks so much Jill!

You can direct the humidifier directly into her cage at night so it falls down over her for maximum effect. I use PVC pipe to direct the output down from the top of my cages.
Hope that helps.

I had this happen twice with my cham (his tongue stuck briefly to my hand while hand-feeding silkworms), while he had an RI and was on medication for a whole month. I figured it either had something to do with the medication or humidity. My vet had me back off on the overnight fogging, so I added a room humidifier instead and keep the door closed to his room. It hasn't happened recently since I made this change, and his RI seems to have cleared up.

With your setup, you could get away with that dual output hose configuration. I hope you figure out her tongue issue.

I should clarify -- I have a humidifier in the room and a dual hose fogger into their cages. I turn it on periodically throughout the day.

I had this happen twice with my cham (his tongue stuck briefly to my hand while hand-feeding silkworms), while he had an RI and was on medication for a whole month. I figured it either had something to do with the medication or humidity. My vet had me back off on the overnight fogging, so I added a room humidifier instead and keep the door closed to his room. It hasn't happened recently since I made this change, and his RI seems to have cleared up.

With a humidifier and the door closed I can only maintain about 30-35 % humidity. I think increasing the daytime humidity might help? I'll try a few things over the coming weeks and see what works. Thanks!

Also I apologize to @Beman for my atrocious cord management.
Like I am the cord organizational freak... um no. I have cord management issues but they are all hidden well in my cabinet. Husbandry looks good. Humidity is a bit low for day and needs a big boost at night. Use the humidifier that is not routed into the cage for day that way it is just boosting the room humidity and I would run both at night. See if you can achieve 80% at night. I am using loD with Beman but he is only getting it 2 times a week on 2 medium dubia. I do not dust anything else with it. I am also using powdered bee pollen in my gutload and I put it on his BSFL and hornworms prior to feeding. He loves it.

Back
Top Bottom