Tolerating/ Hand Feeding help!

Hey guys. So, my new panther is super healthy and is doing well. I have had him for about a week and a half now, and am starting to work on taming. Yesterday, I dropped a cricket in front of his face and put my hand in his cage while he ate it. I did that again and again and then put the cricket in the tips of my fingers. He ate it, so I finally just held it, and he ate it. I did that again and he ate it. The next day I did that again today, yet he seemd a lot more hesitant. He also didn't hand feed. I sit in front of his cage with the door open for two hours a day to make sure he gets used to me. Any tips on getting him to tolerate me? Also, how do I start to switch him to other feeders like worms and roaches? I have like them in his cup, but he doesn't seem to recognize them as food. I know roaches don't move much, but the baby super worms did. Thanks!

As far as the feeders are concerned..crickets can be addicting to chameleons. In order for your cham to want to eat something other than crickets, he is going to have to be hungry enough to give another feeder a try. Chams can be food snobs. So when you are placing the dubia and superworms in his enclosure, he is just waiting for a cricket to show up. As far as him tolerating you, a week and a half is no time at all. It will take much longer. He is at a stage where the sight of food can drive his mind more than the fear of the giant hand holding the cricket. He may become more hesitant before he becomes more accepting. As he ages and becomes more territorial, his defensive posture may increase with you entering his cage. Once he fully matures and understands that the big scary blob brings me food and water, he will allow you to be closer without wanting to kill you. I always recommend being as patient as possible and allowing the cham time to adjust without forcing him to adjust. I know how hard it is looking in and seeing this awesome creature that you want to hold and hand feed and show off to everyone, but one bad incident can stick with them for a long time and their trust/toleration factor can go out the window. When I first began the process of holding my Melleri,(which I only did, so when I needed to move them it wouldn't be stressful to them) I would hold the feeder in my hand and use the other hand as a platform that they had to get on to reach the feeder. Once they got on my hand and ate the feeder, I would calmly place them back in the enclosure where a cup of more feeders were waiting on them. This way the entire process was positive and not forced.

Back
Top Bottom