Todays Hopper Haul

Chameleon Nation

Avid Member
Went to catch some feeders today and could not believe how many were about. Anyone driving by would have had a good laugh seeing a grown man running through a hay field with a giant butterfly net. Gathered up these guys in about 20 minutes. Caught a huge mantis aswell.

Attachments

• 20120825_171922.jpg
    20120825_171922.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 226
  • 20120825_173141.jpg
    20120825_173141.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 146
  • 20120825_173155.jpg
    20120825_173155.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 139
  • 20120825_171945.jpg
    20120825_171945.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 121
Great Haul!! I caught six Gray Birds (Giant Schistocerca) Yesterday. Are you going to start a captive colony and breed your hoppers for the winter? I did that for mine last year and it is a great deal.

I was debating it. I could go every day and pull off the same amount. I have enough cages around here it may be very possible. Grassy country ditches and hay fields are where it is at right now lol.

Speaking of huge mantis!!! At my work today I kid you not, this Mantis was 8 inches long!! I almost caught him but my boss wouldn't let me use a container....His name was going to be Monty...But oh my god was he huge!! He could have atleast at a small bird lol

and nice haul! Let me join you next time :D

I was debating it. I could go every day and pull off the same amount. I have enough cages around here it may be very possible. Grassy country ditches and hay fields are where it is at right now lol.

It was not overly demanding. The cycle of eggs laid to adults was faster than raising dubias.

Last edited:
I would need alot to support our colony. Feeders are better than gold to me lol.

It does not have to be to support it can be just for a treat. However when my male Parsonii goes into hibernation they are one of the few thing he will look at and eat for 3 months. After he makes a meal out of them I always am really glad I have got them available. Plus my male Ambanja loves them every now and then. Even though panthers do not need them to survive:D.

We have been trying to find an alternate feeder source. Crix as a main staple just does not cut it. They would come across grasshoppers, mantids, bees, and other lizards in the wild far more often than the crickets, supers, silks and horns we feed them in captivity. My wife wont do roaches so it would be nice to get a good colony going.

It does not have to be to support it can be just for a treat. However when my male Parsonii goes into hibernation they are one of the few thing he will look at and eat for 3 months. After he makes a meal out of them I always am really glad I have got them available. Plus my male Ambanja loves them every now and then. Even though panthers do not need them to survive:D.

We have been trying to find an alternate feeder source. Crix as a main staple just does not cut it. They would come across grasshoppers, mantids, bees, and other lizards in the wild far more often than the crickets, supers, silks and horns we feed them in captivity. My wife wont do roaches so it would be nice to get a good colony going.

Then I highly recommend grasshoppers. Your chameleons will thrive. There are tree crickets and katydids that are similar to crickets that are commonly used as food items. As well Silkworms would be similar to edible caterpillars that are found in F. pardalis habitats.

That just isn't fair. last summer I had tons, this year i am lucky to net 6 or 7 a day. My chams loved the wealth of hoppers last year.

I plan to run around with my butterfly net catching grasshoppers tomorrow. I hope do half as well!

Last year I got tired of explaining that I feed them to pet reptiles. It made people curious and I wanted to spend the time catching bugs not talking.
So this year, Im going to tell people I eat them myself. I think that will scare anyone away from asking follow-up questions

Dip them in chocolate first, they taste like chocolate covered rasins.;):D

I plan to run around with my butterfly net catching grasshoppers tomorrow. I hope do half as well!

Last year I got tired of explaining that I feed them to pet reptiles. It made people curious and I wanted to spend the time catching bugs not talking.
So this year, Im going to tell people I eat them myself. I think that will scare anyone away from asking follow-up questions

Last edited:

lol! When I was catching bugs for my uni project I got some funny looks, especially when digging a hole in a dog-walkers meadow to plant a pit-fall trap. Looked I like I was burying evidence or something

Back
Top Bottom