To mist or not to mist?

MrJamie

So. To mist or not to mist...or fog. I'm currently looking into buying a panther chameleon and have been looking Into the husbandry on multiple different platforms.

I'm happy with the setup I need (as described on here and multiple other locations... Reptibreeze 2x2x4, no substrate etc etc).

However I have found some information stating that misting actually comes with more cons then pros. The cons being respiratory and eye infections; cons that can be overcome with the "glass method". The argument seems strong for this. The pro glass method even goes as far as to state you don't need misting or fogging.

What's everyone's opinion on this? For context I'm in England temperature drops to between 15-20 degrees celsius at night and humidity is naturally around 45-55%.

IMO, there is no one-size-fits-all answer—there are too many variables; all-screen vs. hybrid enclosure, local climate, indoor vs. outdoor...

From what I've read here and elsewhere, there are also different ideas about keeping chameleons between Europe and North America (and possibly elsewhere). Different ideas/methods doesn't necessarily mean right vs. wrong. As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat." (No offense to cat-lovers).

Where I live, I can't get that temperature drop recommended for a fogger, but I can maintain both day & night humidities and dry things out in-between with live plants and just a mister. No fogger, no dripper. Plant selection can make a difference too.

Can a chameleon get enough moisture for washing it's eyes with just a fogger? :unsure:
Is there enough condensation for drinking water?

I do believe that misting at least twice a day is ideal for most. Having a misting right before lights go on will provide adequate drinking water for your chameleon to wake up to. Another misting right before lights go off will provide your chameleon the opportunity to have another good drink before sleeping. Fogging at night will help replenish and maintain hydration, but in captive conditions I don’t think it by itself can properly keep a cham well hydrated.

IMO, there is no one-size-fits-all answer—there are too many variables; all-screen vs. hybrid enclosure, local climate, indoor vs. outdoor...

From what I've read here and elsewhere, there are also different ideas about keeping chameleons between Europe and North America (and possibly elsewhere). Different ideas/methods doesn't necessarily mean right vs. wrong. As the saying goes, "There's more than one way to skin a cat." (No offense to cat-lovers).

Where I live, I can't get that temperature drop recommended for a fogger, but I can maintain both day & night humidities and dry things out in-between with live plants and just a mister. No fogger, no dripper. Plant selection can make a difference too.

Can a chameleon get enough moisture for washing it's eyes with just a fogger? :unsure:
Is there enough condensation for drinking water?

I have never heard of this glass method... If they do not want you to mist or fog how are they wanting you to provide water?

I have never heard of this glass method... If they do not want you to mist or fog how are they wanting you to provide water?
That's where the cup comes in. Haha I'm very impartial in this I'm just looking for the right thing to do. I've posted a link to the reddit page on the previous response.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Chameleons...of_a/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

It's the mods answer "flip69" it's also found on the side bar of the main chameleons subreddit.

I'm not saying no to a fogger; I said I can't get the temperature drop recommended to run one, so I don't use one, and by judicious misting, I don't need one.

I've kept the little bugger this way for almost a year & a half, and he's perfectly healthy—no respiratory issues.

This way won't work for everyone—each situation is different—but it works for me, and likely can for others with similar conditions.

Different—not wrong.

Never mind.... avoid reddit like the plague... Teaching a chameleon to drink from a stagnant bowl of water is not recommended.

1. This is not how they drink. They drink from a moving water on surfaces of plants and branches.
2. Becomes a source of bacteria.

You want to mist... It does not cause respiratory infections when done properly. Now fogging when done incorrectly can cause RI. This is due to people running a fogger during the day with the lights on and temps hot or running it at night when their temps are not low enough.

So at night you get temp drops to 15-20... I would not fog at 20C. I would try to get temps down to 18C at night before fogging. This is a secondary form of hydration when done correctly. But it does not mean that you do away with misting.

As far as misting goes... You based your length of misting on your natural ambient humidity levels. So if your daytime levels are already suitable for a cham then you are misting prior to lights on when the cage is cool. This makes it so that your not increasing humidity drastically in the morning. Then in the evenings before lights go out. A spike in humidity is fine. What your not wanting is hours sitting at 80% in a hot cage. This is where RI risk comes in. It is the hot moist air that can cause the issues.

There is no one way to set up everything when it comes to misting or fogging. This has to be totally based off the individuals ambient levels of humidity and temps.
What I do in Arizona would be totally different then what someone would do in Florida.

Now for accurate info on husbandry stick to this site and the forum. https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/

Stay away from other sources of info. Most is outdated or just totally wrong. Here in the forum we have many keepers like myself that have been keeping chams for years. We follow the current info on husbandry and can assist you if you have questions about what you read in the husbandry program.

I started a few months back and went with a Mist King and a fogger.
3 side solid cage, 1 mesh side, 2x2x6, room humidity is pretty good as we have a whole home humidifier setup.
Run the MK at 8pm (just before lights off), midnight, 4am, 8am (just before lights on), and 8:30am (just after lights on), for 3 minutes per session.
I stopped using the fogger a while back and see no real change from it being there or not.
Cham seems quite healthy, drinks in evening and morning, and appears well hydrated and happy in a grumpy way.

Back
Top Bottom