To me my female panther looks exceptionally red, but what do you guys think?

Dave Legacy

Hey everyone,

My Sambava panther babies are about 4mo old now, and I've been noticing that one of my females is exceptionally red compared to the others. I was wondering if this is pretty common and if the red coloration carries into adulthood?

Here's a couple pics, but I'll try to get some comparison photos with the other females:

Red_Juvie.jpg

Red_Juvie2.jpg

Best regards,
Dave

Thanks for the positive feedback! I only got one male from this clutch, and he's being held back. It looks like I'll be needing a new male to pair up with this pretty girl.

very nice, she's a real beauty. I would like to see her when she hits maturity. Definitley a keeper.

Hey Dave. That is one nice female. How old is she? One male out of how many hatchlings? Do any of the other females carry this trait? My first panther clutch finished hatching around 3 weeks ago. Im not 100 percent positive on the sexes but it looks like 3 males to 7 females. I only had 10 hatch because the medium got to dry and 12 of them died in the middle of incubation:eek:. I now check that every 2 weeks instead of every month. Have you read the incfluence of incubation temperature article on chameleon news. Pretty neat stuff although it doesnt suggest this in the veileds. I wonder if there is any other underlying factor that decides sex. Anyway sorry for all the questions and rambling. I would keep her.

27 Laid, 13 Fertile, 6 Hatched, 4 Healthy Survivors, 1 Male, and 3 Females. I still have two eggs incubating, but I don't expect them to hatch. It was my first clutch and I'm sure I'll do better next time.

None of the other females show this much red. However, they all seem to have a little bit of a red hue, but not enough full time to consider them a ruby (Look at me inventing slang terms...WOOT!) like this one. Also interesting to me is that all the females are almost a third of the size of the male! WTF? They're being separated for feedings and looking at full time independence in a week.

27 Laid, 13 Fertile, 6 Hatched, 4 Healthy Survivors, 1 Male, and 3 Females. I still have two eggs incubating, but I don't expect them to hatch. It was my first clutch and I'm sure I'll do better next time.

None of the other females show this much red. However, they all seem to have a little bit of a red hue, but not enough full time to consider them a ruby (Look at me inventing slang terms...WOOT!) like this one. Also interesting to me is that all the females are almost a third of the size of the male! WTF? They're being separated for feedings and looking at full time independence in a week.

This gets me thinking about maybe it wasnt the medium to dry because of the eggs that survived. Maybe they were infertile and just took that long to die, who knows. I like that term. Its the new designer name for super red females. I seperated my 10 into 4 5 gallon buckets. I am also going to be giving them independence this weekend. I think it would be best anyway. I am afraid if one gets startled then bites another they could loose part of a tail or get blinded by one climbing on another and getting a fingernail to the eye.

Good luck on your next clutch.

Back
Top Bottom