To get one or multiple pygs?

lexievw

I just recently brought a great boy home named Norman. He is the greatest but I think he may be lonely. This is my first reptile so I thought I would start with one until I could get a handle on everything but from what I read on the forums, most people seem to have multiples. I thought about possibly getting two females but I worry about breading and the difficulty that may bring. Any advice? Will Norman be fine on his own or should I get him some friends?

P.S. The reason I think he is lonely is that I see him searching in the branches a lot and I also read that a most pygs like the ground. He even sleeps way up in the branches, could this be related?

Thanks!! :)

I can't really say whether Norman is lonesome or not, but my Luis hangs out in the top part of the branches and vines quite a bit ..and he has a roommate ...Telma. :)

Mine usually hang out on the branches too and sleep there as well. I have two females because I read they like to live in groups too. If you think you can handle breeding them then I'd say go ahead and get the females, but just a warning they breed like rabbits and can retain sperm so you may end up with a lot of babies before you know it.

Mine usually hang out on the branches too and sleep there as well. I have two females because I read they like to live in groups too. If you think you can handle breeding them then I'd say go ahead and get the females, but just a warning they breed like rabbits and can retain sperm so you may end up with a lot of babies before you know it.

I haven't read much in the breeding section so I am sure there is a lot to learn there but what do you do with them once you have the babies? Do people usually keep them, sell them, etc? Just curious, if they breed a lot, I am curious how many they have and what to do with the cute babies!

I haven't read much in the breeding section so I am sure there is a lot to learn there but what do you do with them once you have the babies? Do people usually keep them, sell them, etc? Just curious, if they breed a lot, I am curious how many they have and what to do with the cute babies!

They lay usually 3-5 eggs at a time. They do not need to be incubated and can be left in the enclosure. If they are gravid (pregnant) they dig a hole to lay them in and can also dig test holes until they decide it is the best one. These are my first chameleons and one was gravid when I got her. She has just started digging holes behind her plants so I have not dealt with any babies yet. There are many threads on this forum that can help you with that. I'm personally planning on keeping the females and selling the males. I can't say exactly what other people do with them.

I've got five eggs incubating right now. I read they do well with a one male to two female ratio. They're so tiny I don't think having 8 in the future would even be a problem. I'm going to keep them all. If my numbers get too big, maybe I will sell some. Only thing is getting a large enough enclosure for them to be happy.

Back
Top Bottom