to breed or not to breed

wow

i was wondering some of the criteria that breeders use before they breed there cam. what sort of things would affect your disision to breed or not to breed!

are both parents healthy and ready,
will you have access to small food
will they all be able to be sold to good homes

if you want to breed for the experence i would suggest only keeping a small number of eggs from a clutch that way you wouldnet have tuns of babies. there are soo many things that could be on that kind of list,

i dont intend on breeding yet but was just wondering the specifics on how healthy a cam has to be like its wait how old and that sort of thing.(srry it took so long to replie)

With egg laying chameleons it is suggested that you wait until the first clutch of infertile eggs has been dropped. I would say with most they will lay them in the 8-12 month range. They are still growing at this point. The extra strain can be bad for their health. I just recently breed my veileds for the first time. Her at a little under 16 months and him at 7 months. I did this because they are similar sizes. From past experience with owning veiled males I know they are big and can be pretty mean. If they got in a fight at least she had a chance to defend herself.

I am just breeding them for the experience. Over 8 years with veileds and never did it. I have a couple of friends that would be interested in having them as pets. Being around me and my chameleons they are knowledgable as to their care. The rest will be unloaded to a local pet store and sold. Assuming everything goes well.

Last edited:
I never breed my chameleons until they are full grown. I would rather not put the strain of producing fertile eggs on their systems until they have stopped growing their own bodies.

Although some females will drop infertile eggs others won't ever drop them (veileds especially). Part of it has to do with diet control and temperature. I have had veiled females that I never bred that never laid a single egg by the age of three...until I mated them and altered their diet and temperatures. They went on to lay good fertile clutches that produced healthy babies.

Brandy made some good points.
You also need to have an incubator ready if the eggs need temperatures higher than room temperature.

Health of the parents is very important, IMHO.

BTW...if you have any females that are of reproductive age...make sure you have a place in the cage for them to dig in to show you that they are ready to lay eggs. Not having a suitable place to lay them can lead to eggbinding and eventual death.

Back
Top Bottom