To be or not to be a roach breeder

I just found out 17 year cicadas are this year for may/june. No silkies this year.

Noooooooo! I literally almost gave an innocent bystander a heart attack during the last cicada event. I'm in Baltimore, mind you, Charm City aka Harm City.... so when I started screaming and running up the business district and threw myself in a doorway... he assumed someone had a gun. Sorry mister, it was a just a cicada on my trail.

Same. I ordered four online and it was $32 or so. I just got them a couple days ago.
Going to start going into family member yards to look for some snails. I’m ready thank you dollar store lol

Attachments

• DB6E532C-FD19-4A6D-99F6-ECD03379FB20.jpeg
    DB6E532C-FD19-4A6D-99F6-ECD03379FB20.jpeg
    408.8 KB · Views: 98
Going to start going into family member yards to look for some snails. I’m ready thank you dollar store lol

Just make sure you separate the eggs and wash them if they're wild caught snails. James is the snail expert. I have some but haven't gotten eggs or fed any off yet, so I can't offer any insight.

They do need calcium, a lot of it. I give mine cuttlebone (shellfish) and sprinkle calcium powder on their food. I think there is some kind of artificial cuttlebone that maybe doesn't have shellfish, or maybe you can find calcium chunks that dont' have it. Its used often for birds so I wouldn't be surprised if there is an allergy friendly version.

Noooooooo! I literally almost gave an innocent bystander a heart attack during the last cicada event. I'm in Baltimore, mind you, Charm City aka Harm City.... so when I started screaming and running up the business district and threw myself in a doorway... he assumed someone had a gun. Sorry mister, it was a just a cicada on my trail.
Need to walk around with Clarice on your head to protect you next time. She got the best gun slinging skills in the west

Just make sure you separate the eggs and wash them if they're wild caught snails. James is the snail expert. I have some but haven't gotten eggs or fed any off yet, so I can't offer any insight.

They do need calcium, a lot of it. I give mine cuttlebone (shellfish) and sprinkle calcium powder on their food. I think there is some kind of artificial cuttlebone that maybe doesn't have shellfish, or maybe you can find calcium chunks that dont' have it. Its used often for birds so I wouldn't be surprised if there is an allergy friendly version.
Your just making more of an argument to sell my husband to James.

Do they lay the eggs on top of the soil or dig??

I once bought 100 silkworm eggs and raise them for my hedgehog. He didn't like them. So I end up raising all of them, most died due to my inexperience, 7 became moths and got a bunch of eggs from 2 females. Only 1 female laid viable eggs. I gave the eggs to someone. I fed them fresh mulberry leaves twice a day, it was time consuming.

As for snails I believe it should be good as a food source. The only type I have here is the invasive African land snail, I don't know if they are okay as a food source.

Darkling beetles are great cleanup crew for dry environment. I use it for my leopard gecko enclosure. Come to think of it, I should try introducing them into my cricket bin.

To the OP, have you tried grasshoppers?

I once bought 100 silkworm eggs and raise them for my hedgehog. He didn't like them. So I end up raising all of them, most died due to my inexperience, 7 became moths and got a bunch of eggs from 2 females. Only 1 female laid viable eggs. I gave the eggs to someone. I fed them fresh mulberry leaves twice a day, it was time consuming.

As for snails I believe it should be good as a food source. The only type I have here is the invasive African land snail, I don't know if they are okay as a food source.

Darkling beetles are great cleanup crew for dry environment. I use it for my leopard gecko enclosure. Come to think of it, I should try introducing them into my cricket bin.

To the OP, have you tried grasshoppers?
I’m looking for feeders that are non allergic at the moment. Grasshoppers are part of the Arthropods species and my husband is extremely allergic. I’m guessing since the grasshopper is bigger my husband would have a bigger reaction to the point of hospitalization. So as of right now worms and snails are my safest option till I can get everything in more of a controlled environment

I’m looking for feeders that are non allergic at the moment. Grasshoppers are part of the Arthropods species and my husband is extremely allergic. I’m guessing since the grasshopper is bigger my husband would have a bigger reaction to the point of hospitalization. So as of right now worms and snails are my safest option till I can get everything in more of a controlled environment

Superworms, mealworms, hornworms and silkworms are all arthropods though. Your only other choices are snails and perhaps arboreal geckos.

Superworms, mealworms, hornworms and silkworms are all arthropods though. Your only other choices are snails and perhaps arboreal geckos.
I’m not using those as well right now only silkworms. I’m trying to use bugs that will affect him less and grasshoppers I’ll affevt him a lot just like the crickets almost killing him.

Back
Top Bottom