tiny fly like creatures in my cricket container

zombiepixel

It's been a while, thought this was the best place to ask.

These things are really small and black, I don't deal with fruit flies so I don't really think these are them based on the images/descriptions i've found online. They look like a really small fly, but solid black like a beetle.

I completely sanitized the cricket container on Sunday and tonight I found more in there. I also found a couple climbing around in the bottom of one of my silkie containers.

they are annoying, thinking they might be fruit flies I put out a vinegar trap, but I want to get to the bottom of this and where they are coming from.

Any thoughts? Fruit flies?

That is probably it Dodolah. It's wierd to because the cricket container already stinks and I cleaned it Sunday, I don't know what is up with this batch of crickets but they have probably been the worst smelling i've ever had.

thanks for the quickness

That is probably it Dodolah. It's wierd to because the cricket container already stinks and I cleaned it Sunday, I don't know what is up with this batch of crickets but they have probably been the worst smelling i've ever had.

thanks for the quickness

I actually have experienced the infestation one time in my Hornworm pod.
I ended up throwing the pod away. Phorid flies laid their eggs on decaying matter. You might not want to feed your chameleon crickets that have been kept in a container infested with phorid flies.

I am not sure if this work..
But, I would dump the crickets in a separate temporary box.
Bleach the infested container and clean it vigorously.
Get a new egg carton.
Then transfer the crickets back to the container.
It might be best to somehow cover the container to prevent the phorid fly to enter and breed again.

Back
Top Bottom