Tiny chameleon with bruises on hip and knee

Thothgirl

I work at a corporate pet store and we got in this tiny (pic included) guy about 6 weeks ago. He hasn’t been gaining weight (what we are “allowed” to feed him is too big for him so we have been sneaking him flightless fruit flies and very shredded veggies)
Two days ago I noticed brusing suddenly on his hip and knee. (Will post pic when get to work) going to double check his UV light today.
I can’t buy him to start trying to rehabilitate him for another two weeks. (My previous Chameleon rescue had to be put down do to advance calcium deficiency and I gave my cage and equipment to a co-worker trying to rescue some White’s Tree Frogs who are doing well and happily thriving)
So any advice on how to help this tiny guy stay alive til then is much appreciated.
The bruises worry me because he hasn’t fallen and am worried it is related to lack of calcium or food.
He is in a 20 long in a stack of them rigged for the pet store. Will fill out questionnaire on break.

Attachments

• 710E6F7A-0CE8-4857-92C6-B9F8B0C733BB.jpeg
    710E6F7A-0CE8-4857-92C6-B9F8B0C733BB.jpeg
    71.4 KB · Views: 151
  • 0FD05DA1-E89B-4274-9CDB-40E29CF6001C.jpeg
    0FD05DA1-E89B-4274-9CDB-40E29CF6001C.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 110
Welcome to the forums! The husbandry form will help us figure out what’s going on with the little guy. Unfortunately, most pet stores are unable to properly care for chameleons, but we can give you tips on how to improve his conditions.

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Veiled, sex unknown, in the store for 6 weeks

• Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • once a day when misting cage (the hand mister stresses it out)
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Officially mealworms and small crickets, unofficially flightless fruit flies and a small shredded salad every other day (the salad every other day the flies daily)
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • None :(
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Hand pump misting as part of general animal care 3-4 times a day
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • Unknown
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
  • Got him in 6 weeks ago, he was tiny and hasn’t grown much, was moved from larger glass fronted cases to smaller 20 long aquarium about 2 weeks ago. Came in with another chameleon who sold within days

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?)
  • 20 gallon long glass aquarium with mesh top linked into a stack
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Unknown - we have a new animal manager who is still being trained,
  • ITemperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Two temp and humidity gages on either side of the cage. Will add pics.
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Same answer as temp
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • No! I totally wish we could.
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Medium trafficked area of store top of cage Will measure and get back with
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?
  • New Orleans, LA

Current Problem - See first post.

Welcome to the forums! The husbandry form will help us figure out what’s going on with the little guy. Unfortunately, most pet stores are unable to properly care for chameleons, but we can give you tips on how to improve his conditions.
I know! I get into so many manger fights about it. Mostly just trying to keep this poor little guy going until I can get enough together to rescue him. I have brought his sever underweight to the attention of my managers but they say they can’t do anything other than try to get him bought.

really hoping this forum can give me advice on what *I* can do to help him.

Sadly this is a catch 22 situation. Saving the chameleon will be good for the chameleon, obviously...but it will encourage the pet store to order anothe one. Not helping the chameleon will likely mean it will die and that might make the store think twice about ordering another.

Also, how many animals can you and other store employees afford to rescue?

It's a shame there isn't something we can figure out that will make the stores want to keep the chameleons in good shape....but their bottom line is make as much profit as possible.

The poor thing needs proper sized insects, supplements, proper lighting, etc to be able to have a chance.

Back
Top Bottom