New rescue~ Veiled Chameleon! Bent casque and slightly swollen joint on leg.

kennaskritters

Hey y'all! I am new here! Super excited to join this site and join the chameleon lovers in raising these awesome creatures! I have raised reptiles before long ago but I was young and barely knew a thing. Now I am 19 and have been researching ALOT so I am well equipped to care for them! Anyways.... I got this little dude yesterday at a pet shop because I saw he was in very poor condition. Dark color, skinny, swollen leg joint with tiny scab, tail almost ripped off on end, bent casque ect. They didn't have his lamp turned on but he was right underneath turned upside down trying to get some heat. His dripper was turned off and they had a bowl underneath the dripper that obviously had poop and stuff in it. He just looked so lifeless! I had to take him. I told them I was a rescue and I bought him for a way cheaper price than they were asking. Basically I just paid for his supplies. He is my only reptile. I wasn't planning on getting any but this guy needed help bad and I knew how to help him! The pictures shown where he is brown is when he was in the cage at the pet shop and when he first was brought to the car. The other pics are when he got comfortable on the car ride home and after he was put in his temporary setup. I am getting him a NICE setup today. He is a bit moody but hasn't but anyone. I would be moody to if they treated me like that! Poor guy. He will live his best life here! What do y'all think could have cause the bent casque? Lack of sunlight and vitamins? Lack of calcium? I would love to see yalls chameleon setups! I want to know what plants I can use for them that are safe for them and also colorful. If they have flowers that's even better. What's y'all's favorite bedding and food to use? I want to know it all! Most importantly though I want to know if this guy looks healthy other than the stated problems and what I can do to help him! He has already changed so much in appearance since we got him. He seriously brightened up and is moving alot more! He needs alot of love and care.

Attachments

• IMG_20220515_204924685.jpg
    IMG_20220515_204924685.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20220515_145415971.jpg
    IMG_20220515_145415971.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20220515_145406017.jpg
    IMG_20220515_145406017.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_20220515_145204657_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220515_145204657_HDR.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_20220515_140546148.jpg
    IMG_20220515_140546148.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_20220515_140527395.jpg
    IMG_20220515_140527395.jpg
    406.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20220515_132646580_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220515_132646580_HDR.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220515_145228797.jpg
    IMG_20220515_145228797.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20220515_145233416.jpg
    IMG_20220515_145233416.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220515_145211029.jpg
    IMG_20220515_145211029.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 74
Hey y'all! I am new here! Super excited to join this site and join the chameleon lovers in raising these awesome creatures! I have raised reptiles before long ago but I was young and barely knew a thing. Now I am 19 and have been researching ALOT so I am well equipped to care for them! Anyways.... I got this little dude yesterday at a pet shop because I saw he was in very poor condition. Dark color, skinny, swollen leg joint with tiny scab, tail almost ripped off on end, bent casque ect. They didn't have his lamp turned on but he was right underneath turned upside down trying to get some heat. His dripper was turned off and they had a bowl underneath the dripper that obviously had poop and stuff in it. He just looked so lifeless! I had to take him. I told them I was a rescue and I bought him for a way cheaper price than they were asking. Basically I just paid for his supplies. He is my only reptile. I wasn't planning on getting any but this guy needed help bad and I knew how to help him! The pictures shown where he is brown is when he was in the cage at the pet shop and when he first was brought to the car. The other pics are when he got comfortable on the car ride home and after he was put in his temporary setup. I am getting him a NICE setup today. He is a bit moody but hasn't but anyone. I would be moody to if they treated me like that! Poor guy. He will live his best life here! What do y'all think could have cause the bent casque? Lack of sunlight and vitamins? Lack of calcium? I would love to see yalls chameleon setups! I want to know what plants I can use for them that are safe for them and also colorful. If they have flowers that's even better. What's y'all's favorite bedding and food to use? I want to know it all! Most importantly though I want to know if this guy looks healthy other than the stated problems and what I can do to help him! He has already changed so much in appearance since we got him. He seriously brightened up and is moving alot more! He needs alot of love and care.
Here is plant list :)
6E49B329-57E9-4234-A1E7-C05B906F836E.jpeg
84EA4F2E-0D9B-4F48-8436-35478E6BF1C3.jpeg

Welcome to the forum and the world of chameleons!

He definitely has an issue with his knee...not as concerned with his casque at the moment. You will likely have to get the knee checked out by a vet....sorry to tell you this.

The casque is more than likely crooked due to nutritional issues.
Does he walk with his body lifted up off the surface he's walking on? Can the leg with the knee issue support his body?

Concerning bedding...I would recommend using nothing on the floor of the cage for now. You can always set it up as bioactive in a while....once you learn how.

For food...crickets are always a good staple because they are easy to get, keep, feed/gutload. You can use roaches, silkworms, BSFL, locusts...once in a while, superworms, waxworms, hornworms...just to start you off. All should be fed/gutloaded well!

I would recommend that you sues a phosphorous free calcium powder on all feedings but one a week. On that one day alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with no D3 and a preformed source of vitamin A. All DUSTINGS should be don't lightly.

The most often recommended UVB lights are the long linear Reptisun 5.0 or the long linear Arcadia 6%. For basking, a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that puts the basking temperature at 80F.

Concerning bedding...I would recommend using nothing on the floor of the cage for now. You can always set it up as bioactive in a while....once you learn how.

For food...crickets are always a good staple because they are easy to get, keep, feed/gutload. You can use roaches, silkworms, BSFL, locusts...once in a while, superworms, waxworms, hornworms...just to start you off. All should be fed/gutloaded well!

I would recommend that you sues a phosphorous free calcium powder on all feedings but one a week. On that one day alternate between a phos free calcium/D3 powder and a vitamin powder with no D3 and a preformed source of vitamin A. All DUSTINGS should be don't lightly.

The most often recommended UVB lights are the long linear Reptisun 5.0 or the long linear Arcadia 6%. For basking, a regular incandescent household bulb of a wattage that puts the basking temperature at 80F.
Thanks! I will order some calcium/viatmin powder today! What are your favorite things to gutload crickets with? I was researching MBD. I'm guessing that's what he may have? Swollen joint and bent casque are both signs of that right?

Hi and welcome! :) Poor guy! So nice that you’ve rescued him and want to give him his best life. The very best place for learning all about proper husbandry standards is https://chameleonacademy.com/chameleon-husbandry-program-getting-started-with-chameleons/ There is also species specific info on the site and amazing podcasts. As @kinyonga has already said, starting with a vet visit is a very good idea. Make sure to take a fresh poo for a fecal check for parasites too.
Hibiscus are great flowering plants for veileds, but you will need a very strong plant light for them.
Here are a couple of graphics that may help with feeders and gutloading. I basically keep all of my bugs well fed with the same items that I use for my beardie’s salads plus some Repashy Bug Burger with bee pollen added to it.
Do ask as many questions as needed. Very glad to have you here.
F9C8CB3F-DFC7-4513-A255-6B830E8EB4AA.jpeg
3AB4CB8A-4A5D-4A48-BC29-8F5B9DD93BCB.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom