Time for New Enclosure - Build thread!

“We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success” -Samuel Smiles
Sadly, the frame didn’t hold up once I put the doors on and let it sit. The material I bought - 5/8” residential aluminum framing - simply isn’t weight bearing at these dimensions. It torqued and pulled a few of the screws out just by slowly leaning towards to doors, despite the “reinforcement” cross braces. Before scrapping it, I considered then building a wood frame to fit and bolt to the outside to try to salvage it...but given that it’s just “good money after bad” I think it’s best to just start over, with sturdier materials, and a better design.

Lessons learned:

• Test material strength before building
  • Integration test your components before fully assembling
  • Still worth it
Thank you for posting this. In any experiment, negative results can be as important as positive. Where did it fail? Could external cross-bracing help?

“We learn wisdom from failure much more than from success” -Samuel Smiles
Sadly, the frame didn’t hold up once I put the doors on and let it sit. The material I bought - 5/8” residential aluminum framing - simply isn’t weight bearing at these dimensions. It torqued and pulled a few of the screws out just by slowly leaning towards to doors, despite the “reinforcement” cross braces. Before scrapping it, I considered then building a wood frame to fit and bolt to the outside to try to salvage it...but given that it’s just “good money after bad” I think it’s best to just start over, with sturdier materials, and a better design.

Lessons learned:

• Test material strength before building
  • Integration test your components before fully assembling
  • Still worth it
Awwwww that sucks! Next one will be even better though!

Back
Top Bottom