Time for adult cage?

Jon S

My male ambilobe will be 5 months old in a few days and I'm wondering if its time to get him his big cage. Currently he is in a Zilla screen habitat with the dimensions 18x12x20. It was the cage that came with Screameleon's Ultimate Set up. I'm asking because the last 5 days have found him climbing all over the place in his cage and I'm wondering if he is trying to increase his range. His body is now probably about 4+ inches from nose to base of the tail.

He eats free range, but also cup feeds when offered, so if I get him his adult cage I'm not too worried about him locating food. I originally planned that he would need to move at about 6 months, but he is looking ambitious now.

by the way, I was planning on the adult cage being 24x24x48. it is the large cage available on lllreptile.com

Jon,

youur guy sounds just like what my guy did before moving him to his adult cage.
mine even started to climb down to the bottom of the cage before his move.
(it too seemed like he just wanted to look for more room or a way out.)

personaly, I feel that it is time for the new cage.
I also don't think he will have a hard time finding food as mine is an awsome hunter, and I'm sure yours is quite the same.

good luck and post photos when the cage is done.

Harry

Thanks for the suggestions. Harry, mine is also going down to the bottom and sometimes will even try to scramble across the floor.

I do have one question about the new enclosure though, if anyone can answer it. Right now I have a small ficus in his cage and there are a couple of branches across the sides as well as a vine that weaves throughout the whole thing. What kind of plants should I put in the adult one? I was thinking of a medium sized ficus, but I am interested in the umbrella plants.

Unfortunatelly, no place around me seems to sell these kinds of plants. Any online suggestions?

Jon,

LLLreptile sells LARGE ficus trees.
they should be about half the size of the cage in hight...at least mine are.

I put two large ones in the back...one raised up using an old pot to give it some added hight.
I also have 2 smaller ones up front on the bottom, and a umbrella plant also-but raised up using an ice bucket as it needed some hight as well.

a better idea is to try and find some small step-stools if your plants need some added hight.

if you can't find anything you might like online or at your local "home depo" like store, you could try your local flower store...just don't forget to get some flowers for your sweet heart while you are there. :p

edit: you could also try pothos and habiscus.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom