Thoughts on Wild Horn Worms

Got a friend who says he can send me some Hornworms that are on his tomato plant. I know it's bad to feed worms that are eating tomato plants but he said they eat basically everything. Assuming I gut load them with good stuff would they be safe to feed my panther?

They should be fine to feed. I would gut load them for a week before feeding. Also make sure your friend does not use fertilizers or pesticides in his yard or the horn worms could kill you cham

The accidental ingestion of fertilizer by your chameleon means that they have eaten a product that can possibly contain harmful substances (herbicides, fungicides, and pesticides) in addition to the compounds (phosphorous, iron, nitrogen) which are toxic when consumed in large amounts

I wish I could give you an answer on this...but I have no idea.
Fertilizers usually contain Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium in various ratios depending on whether you want to grow better/bigger leaves or flowers....but that's all I know. I do know that animals eating the fertilizer itself can often be poisoned...but once it's broken down by the plants using it, I doubt if it is. Sorry.

Peri lily I wouldn't use WC hornworms, even if they were fed for a few days in captivity on something other than tomato plants, before feeding them to the chameleon.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom