Thoughts on these melleri?

It's so hard to say. It could be viral. I highly doubt it's husbandry-related, they take excellent care of their chameleons.

Edit - I was on my phone and I hate typing on it but I wanted to say, if Karen comes across this thread, that I'm so sorry that this is happening to them. I was shocked when I came across their post on FB on this earlier, and I'm so sorry that they're going through this.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the good thoughts.

We have another one not looking so good this morning. I've been on the phone with my vet discussing care and whether we should do blood work.

We have decided to hold off on the blood work as it is likely to not be conclusive. If Scooby passes our vet will be doing a necropsy and sending organ tissue for histopathology. My vet feels that would be the best way to determine the cause, and then solve the problem.

We also discussed bringing in Scooby to hospitalize her and have them care for her. But I am already doing what they would do: keeping her warm, getting fluids in her, getting nutrition in her (using a supplement - Carnivore Care. Another one is Repti-Boost) and I have her on antibiotics.

Now it's just wait and see.

It's so hard to say. It could be viral. I highly doubt it's husbandry-related, they take excellent care of their chameleons.

Edit - I was on my phone and I hate typing on it but I wanted to say, if Karen comes across this thread, that I'm so sorry that this is happening to them. I was shocked when I came across their post on FB on this earlier, and I'm so sorry that they're going through this.

Thanks Olimpia. I hope it ends soon ...

Thanks Olimpia. I hope it ends soon ...

I assume all the melleri were exposed to each other through sharing a room or other space, using the same equipment for watering, feeding, etc? So, trying to isolate any of them now may not change anything. And, as you have other species that are not having these problems it can't be some sort of environmental contaminant/toxin?

BTW, finding the roundworms everywhere may just be a sign that that particular cham was heading into trouble early enough that it allowed their population to explode.

Sorry if I don't know much about your melleri, but are they related, wc, cbb? Are they different ages? Just trying to think about other problems that could be linked to some sort of common heredity (and a shared sensitivity to something).

Again, I'm so sad to hear this! Melleri are special!

Thank you. They are special and I hate losing them!

Yes, the melleri all free range together. My other chams are separate from them but not that separate - they all breathe the same air, eat feeders from the same sources and gutloaded with the same stuff. I get all the plants from the same place, lights from the same place ...

All melleri are WC, different ages, from different sources, some of the ones we've lost we've have for a couple years, one since she was a baby. We've kept them the same way for years, same temps, plenty of water, same variety of feeders from the same sources.

They have all been treated with panacur per my vet. We have one that has been showing symptoms for the past couple days, not as severe though. She is separate from the others and I am keeping her warm, making sure she gets fluids, syringe feeding her, and giving antibiotics. She's hanging in there so I'm hopeful.

I assume all the melleri were exposed to each other through sharing a room or other space, using the same equipment for watering, feeding, etc? So, trying to isolate any of them now may not change anything. And, as you have other species that are not having these problems it can't be some sort of environmental contaminant/toxin?

BTW, finding the roundworms everywhere may just be a sign that that particular cham was heading into trouble early enough that it allowed their population to explode.

Sorry if I don't know much about your melleri, but are they related, wc, cbb? Are they different ages? Just trying to think about other problems that could be linked to some sort of common heredity (and a shared sensitivity to something).

Again, I'm so sad to hear this! Melleri are special!

Back
Top Bottom