THOUGHTS ON BREEDING FEEDERS (CRICKETS TO START)

JIFFYPOP

Avid Member
Would love any advice. How easy, is it worth it. Ive done some reading on substrate and stuff like that, but would help to know from experienced people. Thanks again for all the help

It's not hard at all. The biggest issue is making sure you are breeding the right size and numbers. I started a month back, and my first generation is just approaching the correct size for my cham.

That said, I've decided to only buy from now on. I don't want the chirping, the extra bins, etc... Also, I really don't want to have to sort them by size. In my month olds, thery range from 1/4" (need them to grow) to over 1/2".

I placed a tupperware of peat moss in my adult container. If they're chirping, they are laying. After 12-14 days, I had babies.

Its been a month and I have between 1/4” and 3/4”. The growth rate varies a lot.

To keep growth rate tighter, leave the laying container in there for a day or two. Not much longer. That means more adults if you need a lot.

I would go for breeding dubia roaches. They are cleaner, don't make noise, don't jump, and do not stink like crickets. They also don't carry parasites like crickets can.
I wouldn’t breed Dubias. I can’t remeber what site sponsors page it was but they advise to not breed Dubias at home due to ppl getting allergic to them or developing an allergy over time. Wouldn’t risk it

I wouldn’t breed Dubias. I can’t remeber what site sponsors page it was but they advise to not breed Dubias at home due to ppl getting allergic to them or developing an allergy over time. Wouldn’t risk it

You can also develop allergies to crickets, superworms, mealworms, etc.

Pretty much anything with excess frass can do this. Not exclusive to dubias.

But that’s if you have a shellfish allergy for crickets. Witch my poor husband has. Can’t be in the same room as them

True. But it can also develop over time from breathing in the dust and constant handeling.

Many long time gecko breeders have had to get out of the business due to developing severe allergies to mealworms and superworms.

Definitely not a bad idea to wear a repsirator and gloves if you hand bugs all the time. I don’t right now but I will in the future once my collection grows more and I have to handle more bugs.

When do eyes ever matter?
Well they matter to me because I’m already going blind lol “I can’t see without my glasses”

Attachments

• 92E7F1DE-FF05-4932-A27F-1A51E94DD847.png
    92E7F1DE-FF05-4932-A27F-1A51E94DD847.png
    146.4 KB · Views: 125
Back
Top Bottom