Thoughts from a show

blackhawk

So I decided to take a shot at a Reptile show this weekend. Hadnt done one in over 10 years and it was only 20 minutes away so what the heck. Sold more than I expected, met and talked to a lot of great people and made some very helpful business contacts. All in all a pretty good experience. However, it was sad to see quite a few vendors with animals next to death or even dead. Hoping things would have changed from the time i was a vendor in 1990s, it was sad to see little has changed - at least at this show. In fairness, most vendors were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and had high quality, well cared for animals. But, two of the biggest vendors had cages cramed with sick, dying and dead animals off all kinds. Of course there were chams in all states of health. I watched one Graceful chameleon vomit from a perch cramed in an aquarium with 5 others, two with closed eyes. When I inquired about the Jackson chameleons just for kicks, the charismatic vendor explained how these adults were merely babies and that I could expect them to grow longer than my arm. I talked with other vendors and they voiced the same concern. I have a hard time understanding some people and its difficult watching them profit from an ignorant public.

All the more reason for forums like this.

I agree its too bad some folks are only concerned with moving their product as quickly as they can. It would be good if they handed out a sheet at the door of what to look for in a healthy reptile. It might save some people from wasting their time and money and spark an interest in researching before buying.

Handing out an info sheet at the door on what to look for when buying a reptile is a good idea, Reptoman. I think the organizers ought to go one step further and forbid vendors from displaying and selling obviously sick and dying animals.

As I watched people buy from these shady vendors, I couldn't help but think back to the movie TOMMY BOY - Dan Aykroyd: "What the American people don't know is what makes the American people the American people"

I think the organizers ought to go one step further and forbid vendors from displaying and selling obviously sick and dying animals.

Wouldnt that be great...

Another step would be, since the DNR or state herp societies can rule out native species on tables. Why not have some sort of "organization or local Aspca" show up at these shows and hand out free fines for scum that can care less.

It makes me pretty sick that there is not any regulations in place.

Wouldnt that be great...

Another step would be, since the DNR or state herp societies can rule out native species on tables. Why not have some sort of "organization or local Aspca" show up at these shows and hand out free fines for scum that can care less.

It makes me pretty sick that there is not any regulations in place.

As much as I like this idea it isn't something you would want to ask for. We need to, as herp keepers, edge out those vendors. Treat them like crud, stand in front of their tables and hand out the what to look for paperwork, not to mention complain to the show organizers about the state of their display and animals. They are hurting the hobby, and as such hurting us all.

ASPCA may be a decent organization that is not opposed to animals in captivity but there is no shortage of organizations with people in both that are completely opposed to ALL captive wild animals.

I am a small government sort of guy who thinks we as herpers can and should manage our own hobby ethically, practically, and with compassion. While you may feel you are getting in the way or being mean by making a stink at the bad vendors you're not. They are personally attacking your hobby by being unethical and opening up what you love to scrutiny and turning away new people from joining our masses.

If I see a bad vendor I won't buy from them and will mention to anyone who will listen their animals are sick and complain to the show organizers.

As much as I like this idea it isn't something you would want to ask for. We need to, as herp keepers, edge out those vendors. Treat them like crud, stand in front of their tables and hand out the what to look for paperwork, not to mention complain to the show organizers about the state of their display and animals. They are hurting the hobby, and as such hurting us all.

ASPCA may be a decent organization that is not opposed to animals in captivity but there is no shortage of organizations with people in both that are completely opposed to ALL captive wild animals.

I am a small government sort of guy who thinks we as herpers can and should manage our own hobby ethically, practically, and with compassion. While you may feel you are getting in the way or being mean by making a stink at the bad vendors you're not. They are personally attacking your hobby by being unethical and opening up what you love to scrutiny and turning away new people from joining our masses.

If I see a bad vendor I won't buy from them and will mention to anyone who will listen their animals are sick and complain to the show organizers.

I agree 100%! When I see an injustice I am not afraid to stand up! We the buyers are the ultimate control. This is capitalism and the surviving businesses are those who we choose to support. If you see something wrong it is your duty to tell as many people as you can.

Back
Top Bottom