this was an interesting find...non chameleon.

naich

so while hiking in the adorandicks...well the edge of them i came across a small pond at around 3000 feet elevation

well for every 5 feet of water there was 10 salamander/newts....cant tell the diffrence.

so they were mating i think...but the water is 45 degrees up there and they are cold blooded...so whats happening?

They are mating! Many reptiles and Amphibs thrive at low temps, these generally have a lower metabolism than reptiles and amphibs from warmer climates.
A species of turtle I have is active in winter at similar temps, and eating/functioning as normal. Nice find! :)

P.S. I really dont like the common term 'cold blooded', its not truely accurate and gives false ideas. Ectotherms body temp depends on its enviroment, in warm conditions they are as warm as you and I, infact some (monitors for example) maintain a higher body temp than we do. :)

The Adirondacks is an awesome place. Did they look like this .. of so their a Newt.

newt03.jpg

yeah there were a few like that but the majority were easatern newts and an unidentafied one...but thaks for the pic....thanks for the info!

The Adirondacks is an awesome place. Did they look like this .. of so their a Newt.

newt03.jpg
I believe that is an eastern newt, in its land-dwelling stage (a.k.a. the red eft). We found one in Vermont once, and called a friend over to see it. We were a bit dispersed and had to yell to be heard; he was very disappointed because he was sure he'd heard "moose" instead of "newt".

Very cool; I love newts and my husband has three of them.

Back
Top Bottom